|Assoc Prof Li Chenyang|
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
- PhD (Phil) University of Connecticut 1992
- MA (Phil) Peking University 1984
- BA (Phil) Peking University 1982
|Chenyang Li grew up in China and was among the first class of university students after the Cultural Revolution. He earned a BA and MA in Philosophy from Peking University, and Ph.D. from the University of Connecticut. Before coming to NTU, he served as Professor and Chair of the Department of Philosophy at Central Washington University (USA, 1999-2010). He has also served as chair of CWU Academic Department Chairs Organization, chair of the Personnel Committee of the College of Arts and Humanities, member of the President’s Advisory Council and of the Academic Affairs Council. For his contributions, he received CWU Distinguished Research Professor Award, Outstanding Department Chair Award, and Keys to Success Award (Student Service). He was a 2008-2009 ACE Fellow (American Council on Education).
His research interests include Chinese philosophy and comparative philosophy. Among his publications are The Confucian Philosophy of Harmony (2013), The Tao Encounters the West: Explorations in Comparative Philosophy (1999), The Sage and the Second Sex: Confucianism, Ethics, and Gender (ed., 2000), The East Asian Challenge for Democracy: Political Meritocracy in Comparative Perspective (co-ed. with Daniel A. Bell, 2013),and nearly 100 journal articles and book chapters. He was a senior visiting research fellow at the City University of Hong Kong in 2005-2006 and is now completing a book manuscript on the Confucian ideal of harmony. He is a former president of the Association of Chinese Philosophers in North America and currently serves on the editoral boards of the Journal of Chinese Philosophy and 11 other academic journals. Chenyang Li has taught over twenty philosophy courses such as Introduction to Philosophy, Environmental Ethics, and Chinese Philosophy.
|Chenyang Li's research interest is primarily in Chinese philosophy. He has published extensively in classical Confucianism. His work also covers feminist philosophy, democracy, and human value.|
|Research Grant |
- CoHASS Incentive Scheme (2012-)
- Start Up Grant (2011-2014)
|Current Projects |
- 1. The Confucian Ideal of Harmony 2. Confucianism and Democracy 3. "Nanyang Symposium on Rediscovering Chinese Philosophy: New Dimensions."
- Harmony Index
- Hong Xiao and Chenyang Li. (2013). China’s Meritocratic Examinations and the Ideal of Virtuous TalentsThe East Asian Challenge for Democracy: Political Meritocracy in Comparative Perspective. (pp. 340-362)..
- Chenyang Li. (2013). 庄子的“道通为一”. Philosophical Researches 哲学研究, .
- Chenyang Li. (2013). Li Chenyang Publications: http://nanyang.academia.edu/ChenyangLi/Papers?s=nav#addAcademia Edu.
- Chenyang Li. (2012, December). The Identity and Metamorphosis of the Confucian Tradition. Paper presented at Chinese Social Theory, NUS.
- Chenyang Li. (2012). A Critique of the Heaven in Jiang Qing’s SystemJiang Qing’s Political Philosophy. (pp. 129-138)..