|Prof Kuo Chen-Yu, Eddie |
Division of Communication Research
Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Office: SCI 03-40
- PhD University of Minnesota 1972
- MA University of Hawaii 1966
- BA National Chengchi University 1962
|Eddie C. Y. Kuo is Professor Emeritus and Founding Dean (1992-2003) of the Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information at NTU, and a former member of NTU Council (2003-06). In 2003-05, he was appointed (founding) Interim Dean of the new School of Humanities & Social Sciences at NTU to plan and set up the new school. Before joining NTU, Prof Kuo had served as Head of Sociology Department, Director of the Centre for Advanced Studies, and Head of Mass Communication Department at the NUS. He is currently Academic Advisor to SIM University, Singapore, and serves in the Advisory Board of the Oxford Internet Institute (OII), Oxford University, UK.
A sociologist by training, Professor Kuo’s research interests include communication policy and planning, new media and globalization, sociology of multilingualism, and emergent perspectives in Asian communication. He has published in Journal of Communication, Journal of Social Psychology, Journal of Psychology, Anthropological Linguistics, International Journal of Sociology of language, Marriage and the Family, The Information Society, Asian Survey, and Asian Journal of Communication.
Prof. Kuo is the founding editor of Asian Journal of Communication (1990-2010). He has also served on the editorial/advisory boards of The Information Society (USA), Telematics and Informatics (The Netherlands), Journal of Asia-Pacific Communication (USA), Journal of Development Communication (Malaysia), Journal of International Communication (Australia), and Mass Communication Research (Taiwan).
He was Vice President of International Association of Media Communication Research (IAMCR) in 2000-04, and currently Honorary Chairman of Asian Media Information and Communication Centre (AMIC), Singapore.
|Communication policy and planning
New media and globalization
Cultural policy and national integration
Sociology of multilingualism.
Perspectives in Asian communication
|Current Projects |
- Singapore internet usage and impact study
- Georgette Wang and Eddie Kuo. (2010). The Asian communication debate: Culture-specificity, culture-generality, and beyond. Asian Journal of Communication, 20(2), 152-165.
- Eddie Kuo and H. Chew. (2009). Beyond ethnocentrism in communication theory: Towards a culture-centric approach. Asian Journal of Communication, 19(4), 422-437.
- Kuo, E., & Lee, C. W. (2006). Communication Education and Research in Singapore: Past, Present and FutureGlobal Trends in Communication Education and Research..
- Kuo, E., & Keshishoglou, J. (2004). A Changing Television Climate in Southeast Asia, and Singapore: Managing Liberalizationin Contemporary World Television..
- Kuo, E. & Hao, X. (2003). Status of Media in SingaporeEncyclopedia of International Media and Communications. (pp. 177-191)..