|Assoc Prof Chiew Sing Ping |
Head, Division of Structures and Mechanics
Division of Structures and Mechanics
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering
- PhD National University of Singapore 1987
- MSc University of Wales 1982
- BSc(Hons) University of Wales 1981
|He is a Past President of the Singapore Structural Steel Society, a former Council and Executive Member of the Institution of Engineers, Singapore and Vice-Chairman of the Joint Structural Division of the Institution of Structural Engineers. He has also served as advisor to many external organizations and currently a member of the panel of expert advisors of the Land Transport Authority of Singapore. His major areas of research interest are in fatigue and fracture of steel structures, advanced and high performance materials, structural stability, steel and composite construction. He received the Merit and Distinguished Awards from the National Standards Council of Singapore in 1995 and 1997 respectively for his contribution to Singapore’s national standardization programmes.|
|Fatigue and fracture of steel structures
Advanced building materials
Steel and composite construction
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2003-) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2006-)
- JTC Corporation - NTU (2011-) [by JTC Corporation]
- MHA-NTU-PTRC (2010-) [by Ministry of Home Affairs]
- NRF CREATE (2012-2017) [by National Research Foundation (NRF)]
- Regency Steel Asia Fund (2011-) [by Regency Steel Asia Pte Ltd]
|Current Projects |
- Building Security Research - MHA (Overhead)
- Development of NTU-JTC Industrial Infrastructure Innovation Centre
- High Strength Steel Structural Connections (former title - Precast Concrete Technology)
- High Strength Steel in Sustainable Construction Phase I
- High Strength Steel in Sustainable Construction Phase II
- Influence of Heat on High Strength Steel Structures
- Singapore-Berkeley Building Efficiency and Sustainability in the Tropics
- Chiew S.P., Lee C.K. and Lie S.T. (2009). Research on Tubular Joints at Nanyang Technological University. The IES Journal Part A - Civil and Structural Engineering, 2(1), 68-84.
- Chiew S.P., Sun Q. and Yu Y. (2007). Flexural Strength of RC Beams with GFRP Laminates. Journal of Composites for Construction, ASCE, 11(5), 497-506.
- Chiew S.P., Lee C.K., Lie S.T. and Ji H.L. (2007). Fatigue Behavior of Square-to-Square Hollow Section T-Joint with Corner Crack. I: Experimental studies. Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 74(5), 703-720.
- Chiew S.P. and Yu Y. (2006). Behavior of Strut-Waler Connections with Different Stiffening Details. The Structural Engineer, Journal of the Institution of Structural Engineers, 84(14), 28-31.
- Chiew S.P., Lie S.T., Lee C.K. and Huang Z.W. (2004). Fatigue Performance of Cracked Tubular T-Joints under Combined Loads. I: Experimental. Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 130(4), 562-571.