|CK Soh received his BEng from Concordia University, Canada, SM from MIT, USA, and PhD from University of Wales College of Cardiff, UK. Prior to joining NTU, Singapore, he worked as an offshore engineer with McDermott South East Asia and as a marine surveyor with Noble Denton & Associates Singapore. Over the years at NTU, he has held various appointments such as sub-dean and vice-dean of the School of Civil & Structural Engineering, head of the Division of Structures & Construction, head of the Division of Structures & Mechanics, Assistant Director of Research at the NTU Office of Research, and Associate Chair (Administration) of the School of Civil & Environmental Engineering. Presently, he is the Acting Chair of the School of CEE. He is also a Fellow of the Singapore Academy of Engineering.
CK Soh has published more than a hundred journal papers, one of which received the ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers) Best TCCP Paper Award in 1996, another received the IES-IStructE (Singapore) Best Structural Paper Award in 2001, and yet another has in 2011 been identified by the Council of Canadian Academies as a top-1% most highly cited paper in its field in the world. His current research interests are in sustainable urban systems and in using smart materials for structural health monitoring, damage prognosis and energy harvesting. He has also co-authored a book on "Analysis and Design of Offshore Structures" published by the Singapore Structural Steel Society in 1991, a pc-based courseware on “Intelligent Interactive Tutoring System for Engineering Mechanics - Statics” published by Pearson-Prentice Hall in 2000, and another book “Smart Materials in Structural Health Monitoring, Control and Bio-mechanics” published by Springer-ZJUP in 2012. The last book is a ‘3 generations’ book in which the chapters are co-authored by him and his students and their students.
In addition, CK Soh received the NTU First Year Common Engineering Teaching Excellence Award in 2004. He is a visiting professor of Shanghai Jiaotong University, China, and chair of the Asian Network working committee of ASCE Global Center of Excellence in Computing. As a registered Professional Engineer of Singapore, he has been active in providing consulting services to the offshore and marine industry for more than twenty years.
- Jin ZL, Yang YW and Soh CK. (2009). Semi-analytical solutions for optimal design of vibration control system for smart structures.. Smart Structures and Systems, .
- Yang YW, Liu H, Annamdas VGM and Soh CK. (2009). Monitoring damage propagation using PZT impedance sensors. Smart Materials & Structures, 18(4).
- Yang YW and Soh CK. (2008). Piezoelectric Impedance TransducersStructural Health Monitoring of Civil Infrastructure Systems. United States: Woodhead Publishing.
- Yang, YW; Lim, YY; Soh, CK. (2008). Practical issues related to the application of the electromechanical impedance technique in the structural health monitoring of civil structures: I. Experiment. Smart Materials & Structures, 17(3).
- Annamdas VGM and Soh CK. (2008). Uniplexing and multiplexing of PZT transducers for structural health monitoring. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 19(4), 457-468.