|Assoc Prof Crossland-Guo Shuyun |
Division of Chinese
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Phone: (+65)6592 1561
- Teacher'sCert MPMK Teacher's Training College, Johor 1979
- PhD University of Hawaii 1996
- MA University of Iowa 1990
- BA University of Iowa 1988
|Taught Chinese at Malaysian secondary school in the early 1980s. Pursued higher education and taught in USA from 1986 to 1996. Joined CCLC, NTU in 1996. Currently teaching at the Division of Chinese, School of Humanities and Social Sciences. Courses taught include Undergraduate and Graduate courses: Chinese Oral Tradition, Chinese Folk Literature, Chinese Classical Drama, Chinese Folk Operatic Performance, Modern and Contemporary Chinese Literature and Overseas Chinese Literature.|
|Dunhuang Studies (Dunhuang Manuscripts & Cave Arts)
Chinese Oral Literature
Folk Operatic Performance Arts
Modern & Contemporary Chinese Literature
|Research Grant |
|Current Projects |
- The Musical features of Quanzhou Nanyin and its Correlation with the Southern Folk Operas
- Crossland-Guo Shuyun. (2011, October). "The Role of the Chou in Min opera ‘Demotion of the Magistrate at Wuyou" 丑角之美：论闽剧《贬官记》中乌有县官的形象. Paper presented at International Conference of Chinese Opera 【中国戏曲国际研讨会】, Academy of Arts and Culture, Zhejiang, China.
- Crossland-Guo Shuyun. (2011). The art of humor and irony in the spoken sections of Tang Xianzu's Handan mengji （从汤显祖《邯郸梦记》传奇的宾白内容看汤翁的诙谐艺术). Tang Xianzu Tong Xun, 2011 (Vol 2)(No 13), 19.
- Crossland-Guo Shuyun. (2011). Homestead Narratives 【《家乡叙事》】. Wile Grass Publication Kuala Lumpur.
- Crossland-Guo Shuyun. (2009). The Quanzhou Nanyin: Historical Connections and Present Manifestations in the Southern Folk Operas. 14th International CHIME Conference: Chinese and East Asian Music: The Future of the Past.
- Crossland-Guo Shuyun. (2009). Thematic Composition as Narrative Technique: An Overview of the Themes in Mulian Bianwen. Asian Culture, 36, 17.