|Prof Tan Kang Hai|
Director, MINDEF-NTU Protective Technology Research Centre
Director, Office of Global Education and Mobility
Fellow, Renaissance Engineering Programme
Division of Structures and Mechanics
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4675/5297
- PhD University of Manchester 1989
- BSc(Hons) University of Manchester 1986
|Assoc Prof Tan Kang Hai is in the School of Civil & Environmental Engineering since Oct 1990. He received his Bachelor and PhD degrees in Civil Engineering from the University of Manchester. His research interests include structural fire engineering, strut and tie modelling of reinforced concrete structures, composite joints, heat transfer analysis and evacuation modelling. He has published over 80 top quality international journal papers and another 90 or so international conference papers. He has often been invited as a reviewer for ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Engineering Structures, ACI Strucutural Journal and Journal of Constructional Steel Research. He also serves as a member of review panel for the UK EPSRC on research proposals related to structural fire engineering. He serves as a technical committee member of a few international conferences, including co-Chairman of Structures-in-Fire 2008 International Conference. Dr. Tan is a Professional Engineer in Singapore, and is currently Deputy Director of Protective Technology Research Centre.|
|A/P Tan's research interests include structural fire engineering, strut and tie modelling of reinforced concrete structures, progressive collapse analysis and testing of structures, finite element programs for heat transfer analysis and nonlinear structural analysis and evacuation modelling using cellular automata.|
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2011-)
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2007-) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
- Defence Science and Technology Agency (2009-) [by MINDEF - Defence Science & Technology Agency (DSTA)]
- Defence Science and Technology Agency (2009-) [by Nanyang Technological University, MINDEF - Defence Science & Technology Agency (DSTA)]
- JTC Corporation - NTU (2012-)
- JTC Corporation - NTU (2013-) [by JTC Corporation]
- MHA-NTU-PTRC (2010-) [by Ministry of Home Affairs]
- University of Newcastle Singapore Pte Ltd - NTU (2009-) [by University of Newcastle Singapore Pte Ltd - NTU]
|Current Projects |
- An Integrated Multiple-Hazards Research Programme for Resilient Structures - Project title: Effects of Catenary and Membrane Actions on the Collapse Mechanisms of RC Buildings – Behaviors of Structural Elements
- Application of engineering cementitious composites (ECC) and blast detailing on national critical infrastructures against blast loading
- Building Security Research - MHA (Overhead)
- DEPATHSS: Dynamic Egress PlAnning ThrougH valid Symbiotic Simulation.
- Development of Analytical Tools for Progressive Collapse Analysis due to Terrorist Bombing (1 of 2)
- Development of Analytical Tools for Progressive Collapse Analysis due to Terrorist Bombing (2 of 2)
- Explore Concept of Membrane Action in Slabs to Reduce Fire Protection for Beams
- Integrated Structures and Materials Design for Precast Concrete 66kV Substation against Progressive Collapse
- Material properties of recycled concrete for structural applications
- Structural Resilience Study of Concrete Precast and Composite Steel Joints Subject to Missing Column Scenario
- UTRE Phase II (POD0814223-PTRC-CEE/DSTA/2009.08)
- Wang Z.H and Tan K.H. (2008). Radiative heat transfer for structural members exposed to fire: An analytical approach. Journal of Fire Sciences, 26(2), 133-152.
- Tan, K.H., Yuan W.F. (2008). Buckling of Elastically Restrained Steel Columns under Longitudinal Non-Uniform Temperature Distribution. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 64(1), 51-61.
- Zhang N
Tan K.H. (2007). Size effect in RC deep beams: Experimental investigation and STM verification. Engineering Structures, 29(12), 3241-3254.
- Zhang Ning, Tan, K.H. (2007). Direct Strut-and-Tie Model for single span and continuous deep beams. Engineering Structures, 29(11), 2987-3001.
- Hu Ou'er, Tan, K.H., Liu Xiuhua. (2007). Behaviour and Strut-and-Tie Predictions of High-Strength Concrete Deep Beams with Trapezoidal Web Openings. Magazine of Concrete Research, 59(7), 529-541.