|Prof C.J. Wee Wan-ling |
Division of English
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
- Postgrad Dip of Teaching in Higher Edu NTU 1995
- PhD (Religion & Lit) University of Chicago 1993
- MA National University of Singapore 1985
- BA (Hons) National University of Singapore 1984
|C. J. W.-L. Wee received his PhD from the University of Chicago. He is a Professor of English in School of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU). He previously taught in the National Institute of Education (NIE) in the same University, and has also been a Fellow at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS), Singapore. He has held Visiting Fellowships at the Centre for the Study of Developing Societies, Delhi, India; the Humanities Research Centre, Australian National University; the Society for the Humanities, Cornell University; and the Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and the Humanities, Cambridge University. Wee is the author of /Culture, Empire, and the Question of Being Modern/ (2003) and /The Asian Modern: Culture, Capitalist Development, Singapore/ (2007); he is also the editor of /Local Cultures and the ‘New Asia’: The State, Culture, and Capitalism in Southeast Asia/ (2002). Most recently, he co-edited the anthology /Contesting Performance: Global Sites of Research/ (2010). He is a member of the editorial board of the journal /Modern Asian Studies/, and his present research interest is in the contemporary arts, literature, and the culture industries in East Asia, and the relationship between questions of the postcolonial, modernity/modernism, and the contemporary/postmodernism.|
|• Globalisation, modernity and cultural production in East and Southeast Asia
• Literature, theatre and contemporary visual art in Singapore; the state and culture in Singapore
• Colonialism and nationalism in postcolonial literatures and cultures in English
• Cultural and Postcolonial theory
• Modernism in Euro-America and East Asia
|Research Grant |
- Start Up Grant (2011-2014)
|Current Projects |
- The International East Asian Art Exhibition and the "Rise" of Asia
- C. J. W.-L. Wee. (Ed.). (2012). The Complete Works of Kuo Pao Kun, vol. 4: Plays in EnglishSingapore: The Theatre Practice and Global Publishing.
- C. J. Wee Wan-ling. (2010). ‘ “We Asians”?. Modernity, Visual Art Exhibitions, and East Asia, , 91-126.
- CJ Wee Wan-ling guest editor Koh Tai Ann. (2010). Diversity in the Modern Urbanscape: Public Housing in Singapore Film. Moving Worlds , 10(1), 32-46.
- CJ Wee Wan-ling. (2010). Speaking of Modern and Contemporary Asian ArtArt and Globalization: The Stone Art Theory Institutes. (pp. vol 1)..
- CJ Wee Wan-ling and Alfian Sa’at. (2010). ‘Introduction – Home Alone and Homesick: Fractured National Culture in the Plays of Alfian Sa’at’Collected Plays One: The Optic Trilogy, Fugitives, Homesick, sex.violence.blood.gore...