|Prof Tay Joo Hwa |
Division of Environmental and Water Resources Engineering
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 6228
- PhD University of Toronto 1976
- MS University of Cincinnati 1972
- BS National Taiwan University 1971
|Dr Tay Joo Hwa is the Director & CEO, Institute of Environmental Science & Engineering (IESE) Pte Ltd.
He studied Civil Engineering at National Taiwan University and Water Resources & Hydraulic Engineering in the University of Cincinnati. He received his Ph.D. degree from the University of Toronto in 1972.
He has lectured at universities in Canada, United States and Singapore since 1976. In 1983, he joined Nanyang Technological University and currently he is a Professor with the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
In IESE, he directs the research & development and the commercialization of advanced environmental technology. From 2001 to 2004, he received four national awards for his outstanding inventions.
He has acted as consultant to the World Bank, Asian Development Bank, United Nations organizations, World Health Organization, Asian Productivity Organization, German Technical Assistant Programme and Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft of Germany for various technical assistance programmes on environmental management in Asia Pacific region for the last 20 years.
He also provides consultancy services on environmental management issues to the governments and industries in the region. In the last five years, he has designed more than 30 treatment facilities for the water and wastewater management in the region. He has offered more than 60 training courses for senior staff on environmental management, industrial and hazardous wastes management, ISO 14000-Environmental Management System, Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), Green Productivity, Waste Minimization and Cleaner Production programmes in 20 Asian countries.
|Waste recycling and reuse.
Hazardous waste management.
Biotechnological applications on wastewater treatment.
Membrane filtration technology.
Advanced oxidation processes technology.
|Research Grant |
- A*STAR (2003-) [by A*STAR Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC)]
- A*STAR Science and Engineering Research Council (2003-) [by A*STAR Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC)]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (1998-) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
- Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore - NTU (2004-) [by Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA)]
- NTU- IESE-Advanced Membrane Technology Centre (AMTC) (2004-)
- PUB-NTU (2002-) [by Public Utilities Board (PUB)]
- PUB-NTU (2005-) [by Public Utilities Board (PUB)]
|Current Projects |
- A greener and cheaper way to treat wastewater - EERC - Phase 2
- A*Star - IESE - Additional Fund
- Advanced Membrane Technology Centre (AMTC) - Infrastructural Funding.
- Anaerobic Digestion Of Strong Organic Waste.
- Conversion of Sewage Sludge into Biofertiliser
- Green Productivity Demonstration Project (GPDP) on Energy Conservation and Waste Recycling at Changi General Hospital, Singapore (SPE-GPDP-01).
- MPA-TEC Project - Ballast Water Treatment System.
- Optimisation of Quantum Effects om a Apatite-based Nanocomposite Metallic & Semiconductor Catalyst for Environment Protection. (A*STAR SERC Grant 033 141 01)
- To Conduct Shipboard Trials of an Innovative Ballast Water Treatment System for Prevention of Transfer of Harmful Organisms (MPA-NTU)
- To Conduct Shipboard Trials of an Innovative Ballast Water Treatment System for Prevention of Transfer of Harmful Organisms (TEC-NTU)
- Utilization Of Marine Clay For Innovative Building And Construction Materials.
- Maszenan, AM; Jiang, HL; Tay, JH; Schumann, P; Kroppenstedt, RM; Tay, STL. (2010). Granulicoccus phenolivorans gen nov, sp nov, a Gram-positive, phenol-degrading coccus isolated from phenol-degrading aerobic granules. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, 57, 730-737.
- Liu S.Q., Liu Y., Show K.Y., Tay J.H. (2009). Toxicity effect of phenol on aerobic granules. Environmental Technology, 30, 69-74.
- Kong, Yunhua; Liu, Yong-Qiang; Tay, Joo-Hwa; Wong, Fook-Sin; Zhu, Jianrong. (2009). Aerobic granulation in sequencing batch reactors with different reactor height/diameter ratios. Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 45(5), 379-383.
- Lin Y.M., Tay J.H., Liu Y. and Hung Y.T. (2009). Biological nitrification and denitrificaiton processes.. Biological Treatment Processes, , 539-588.
- Tay J.H., Liu Y., Tay S.T.L. and Hung Y.T. (2009). Aerobic granulation technology. Advanced Biological Treatment Processes, .