|Assoc Prof Chu Jian |
Division of Infrastructure Systems and Maritime Studies
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4563
- PGDipTHE Nanyang Technological University 1998
- PhD University of New South Wales 1991
- BE PLA Logistics Inst of Engrg, Chongqing 1983
|Dr CHU joint the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, NTU, in 1991 after receiving his Ph.D. from the University of New South Wales, Australia. He has more than 20 years’ research and consulting experiences in geotechnical and geo-environmental engineering, in particular in the areas of laboratory and in-situ testing, engineering properties of soils, soil improvement, land reclamation and waste utilisation. He is the Chairman of the International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE) Technical Committee TC39: Geotechnical Engineering for Coastal Disaster Mitigation and Rehabilitation, the Coordinator of Working Group C in ISSMGE TC17: Ground Improvement, the Co-Editor for Geotechnical Engineering, the Journal of Southeast Asian Geotechnical Society, and the editorial board member for other four international journals. He is a co-author of the book “Soil Improvement – Prefabricated Vertical Drain Techniques” and a co-editor of the book “Ground Improvement – Case Histories”. He has published over 180 technical papers in international journals and conferences and has been a keynote or invited speaker at more than 20 local and international conferences. He is also a recipient of the prestigious R.M. Quigley Award from the Canadian Geotechnical Society for publishing the best paper in the Canadian Geotechnical Journal in 2003. He has been a consultant for many projects and organisations in Singapore and overseas.|
|Dr Chu's area of expertise includes labotrory and in-situ testing, soil properties, ground improvement, land reclamation, and waste utilisation. My research focus areas at the present are: (1) Instability behaviour of granular soil; (2) Innovative ground improvement methods including the use of microbial technologies; (2) Waste utilisation; and (4) Disaster mitigations.|
|Research Grant |
- A*STAR Science and Engineering Research Council - Public Sector Funding (2009-) [by A*STAR Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC)]
- Defence Science and Technology Agency (2009-) [by MINDEF - Defence Science & Technology Agency (DSTA)]
- JTC Corporation - NTU (2013-)
- NRF Competitive Research Program (2010-) [by National Research Foundation (NRF)]
- SMA Graduate Fellowship Research Supplement (2010-) [by Singapore-MIT Alliance (SMA)]
|Current Projects |
- Biocement-A New Sustainable And Energy Saving Material For Construction And Waste Treatment
- Effect Of Strength And Stiffness Anisotropy Of Geomaterials.
- Environment Impact of the Reclamation Using Vacuum Consolidation Technique
- Pilot Field Trial on the Application of Soft Materials for Reclamation Fill Using Menard Vacuum Consolidation
- Postgraduate Student Supervised: Li Bing
- Sustainable Urban Waste Management for 2020_Project 1: Communities As Renewable Resource Recovery Centres
- Sustainable Urban Waste Management for 2020_Project 2: Wastewater Treatment Plants As Urban Eco Power Stations
- Sustainable Urban Waste Management for 2020_Project 3: Rapid Land Reclamation of Closed Urban Dumping Grounds
- UTRE Phase II (POD0814223-PTRC-CEE/DSTA/2009.07)
- Underground Technology and Rock Engineering (UTRE) Phase II (POD0814223-PTRC-CEE/DSTA/2009.01)
- Underwater Infrastructure and Underwater City of the Future_Project 1: New Concrete, Reinforcing Materials & Structural Design Consideration
- Underwater Infrastructure and Underwater City of the Future_Project 2: Innovative Soil Treatment & Foundation Methods
- Underwater Infrastructure and Underwater City of the Future_Project 3: Hydrodynamic Consideration
- Guo, W., Chu, J., and Yan, S. W. (2013). Design of geosynthetic tube on deformable foundation. International Symposium on Design and Practice of Geosynthetic-reinforced Soil Structures.
- Chu, J., and Guo, W., Yan, S. W.,. (2013). Geo-Congress 2013: Deformation of slurry filled permeable geosynthetic tubes. Geo-Congress 2013: Stability and Performance of Slopes and Embankments III (pp. 34-43)San Diego, CA, US: American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
- J. HE; J. CHU; V. IVANOV. (2013). Mitigation of liquefaction of saturated sand using biogas. Geotechnique, 63(4), 267 –275.
- Guo W., Chu J. and Yan S.W. (2013). Recent studies of geosynthetic tubes and geosynthetic mats: an overview. Geotechnical Engineering, Journal of Southeast Asian Geotechnical Society, 44(4).
- He, J., Chu, J., and Ivanov, V. (2013). PROCEEDINGS Geo-Congress 2013: Remediation of Liquefaction Potential of Sand Using the Biogas Method. Geo-Congress 2013: Stability and Performance of Slopes and Embankments (pp. 879-887)San Diego, California, United States: American Society of Civil Engineers.