|Asst Prof Yow Cheun Hoe |
Deputy Director, Centre for Chinese Language & Culture
Division of Chinese
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Office: HSS-03-15/ CLC01-13
- PhD National University of Singapore 2003
- MA University Sains Malaysia 1999
- BA(Hons) University Sains Malaysia 1996
|Asst Prof Yow Cheun Hoe is currently in the Division of Chinese since 2006. He received his BA degree (major in history, minor in literature) and MA degree (History) from Universiti Sains Malaysia, in 1996 and 1999 respectively, and PhD degree from East Asian Institute, National University of Singapore in 2002. His academic interest is in Chinese diaspora, particularly topics pertaining to relations between Chinese overseas and China, Chinese migration and new migrants, and Chinese writers and their works. He has published extensively journal articles and book chapters. He is the executive editor of Huaren yanjiu guoji xuebao (International Journal of Diasporic Chinese Studies), and one of the manuscripts reviewers for East Asia: An International Quarterly (Durham), Journal of Chinese Overseas (Singapore), The China Review: An Interdisciplinary Journal on Greater China (Hong Kong), and Yazhou Wenhua (Asian Culture)(Singapore).|
|Chinese overseas and Chinese diaspora;
Relations between Chinese overseas and China;
Southeast Asia, particularly Singapore and Malaysia;
Qiaoxiang(ancestral homeland)areas in China, particularly Guangdong and Wenzhou;
Chinese education in Southeast Asia;
Chinese writers and their works in Southeast Asia;
New Chinese migrants in Singapore;
Chinese business networks;
|Research Grant |
|Current Projects |
- Study Mamas and Their Segmented Assimilation in Singapore
- Yow Cheun Hoe. (2011). Antara China dengan Tanah Tempatan Ini: Satu Kajian Pemikiran Dwipusat Penulis Cina 1919-1957 (Between China and This Local Land: A Study of Dual-Centred Mentality of Chinese Writers in Malaya, 1919-1957). Penang: Universiti Sains Malaysia Press.
- Yow Cheun Hoe. (2009). Capital Accumulation along Migratory Trajectories: China Students in Singapore?s Secondary Education SectorConnecting and Distancing: Southeast Asia and China. (pp. 137-152). Singapore: Singapore Society of Asian Studies and Institute of Southeast Asia.
- Yow Cheun Hoe. (2009, May). Setting a Role Model: Hong Kong Migrants in Singapore. Paper presented at The 4th International Conference of Institutes & Libraries for Chinese Overseas Studies on“Interaction and Innovation: Multidimensional Perspectives in Chinese Overseas Studies”, Jinan University, Guangzhou.
- Yow Cheun Hoe. (2009). “Zhutixing de lisanhua: Zhongguo xinyimin zuozhe zai Xinjiapo” 主体性的离散化：中国新移民作者在新加坡 (Diasporization of Subjectivity: New Chinese Migrant Writers in Singapore). Changjiang Xueshu 长江学术, 2009.1(21), 19-25.
- Yow Cheun Hoe. (2009). Rhacel S. Parreňas and Lok C.D. Siu (eds.), Asian Diasporas: New Formations, New Conceptions. Stanford: Stanford California, 2007. [Review of the book Rhacel S. Parreňas and Lok C.D. Siu (eds.), Asian Diasporas: New Formations, New Conceptions. Stanford: Stanford California, 2007.] Ethnic and Racial Studies (UK), 32 (3), 577-579.