|Prof Harianto Rahardjo |
Head, Division of Infrastructure Systems and Maritime Studies
Division of Infrastructure Systems and Maritime Studies
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering
- PhD University of Saskatchewan 1990
- MSc University of Saskatchewan 1982
- Ir. Institut Teknologi Bandung 1979
|Professor Rahardjo has conducted extensive research on unsaturated soil mechanics to solve geotechnical problems associated with tropical residual soils, swelling and collapsible soils. His current research focus is on rainfall-induced landslides, one of the major environmental problems affecting many countries in tropical regions. This research activity has led to the development of unsaturated tropical soil engineering laboratory in Nanyang Technological University (NTU). He is the co-author of the first textbook on unsaturated soils “Soil Mechanics for Unsaturated Soils”, by Fredlund, D.G. and Rahardjo, H. (1993), John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 517 pages and over 200 technical publications. He has also presented his research works in many keynote / invited lectures and short courses in various countries. He is Core Member of the TC6 Committee of International Society of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE) on Unsaturated Soils and Member of the Asian Technical Committee on Geotechnical Natural Hazards (ATC3).|
|Rainfall - induced landslides: mechanism, assessment, characterisation, instrumentation and preventive measures
Unsaturated Soil Mechanics: laboratory testing, field measurements and numerical modelling
Behaviour of tropical soils: shear strength, air and water flows, suction measurements
Soil improvement for tree stability
Laboratory soil testing for saturated and unsaturated soils
Specialised soil testing techniques and their interpretation
Analytical techniques in geotechnical engineering
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2006-) [by National Parks Board]
- Housing and Development Board - NTU (2008-) [by Housing & Development Board]
- Housing and Development Board - NTU (2013-) [by Housing & Development Board]
- NRF Competitive Research Program (2010-) [by National Research Foundation (NRF)]
- National Parks - NTU (2011-) [by National Parks Board]
- National Parks - NTU (2012-) [by National Parks Board]
- Supplementary Equipment Purchase (2007-) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
|Current Projects |
- Assessment of Climatic Factors on Slope Stability.
- Development of Specialised Structural Cells for Growing Street Trees in Constrained Planting Spaces
- Direct contracting with NTU on training services for advances slope engineering based on therory of unsaturated soil mechanics
- Effects of Rainfall on Tree Stability
- Politecnico Di Torino-NTU Joint R&D.Hydraulic Behaviour of Unsaturated Soil as Affected by Volume Changes.
- Rainfall-Induced Slope Failures.(NTU/NSTB/PWD)
- Slope Instrumentation for the Study of Rainfall -Induced Slope Failures in Singapore (1 of 3)
- Slope Instrumentation for the Study of Rainfall -Induced Slope Failures in Singapore (2 of 3)
- Slope Instrumentation for the Study of Rainfall -Induced Slope Failures in Singapore (3 of 3)
- Slope Stability In Topical Soil.
- Slope repair and technology in Singapore
- Soil Improvement for Tree Stability (1 of 2)
- Soil Improvement for Tree Stability (2 of 2)
- Sustainable Urban Waste Management for 2020_Project 1: Communities As Renewable Resource Recovery Centres
- Sustainable Urban Waste Management for 2020_Project 2: Wastewater Treatment Plant as an Urban Eco Power Station
- Sustainable Urban Waste Management for 2020_Project 3: Rapid Land Reclamation of Closed Urban Dumping Grounds
- Rahardjo, H, A. Satyanaga, E.C. Leong. (2008). Role of Real Time-Monitoring in Slope Stability. KEYNOTE LECTURE. International Seminar on Civil and Infrastructure Engineering 2008 for Environmental Sustainability (pp. 1-20).
- Rahardjo, H., R.B. Rezaur, E.C. Leong, E.E. Alonso, A. Lloret, and A. Gens. (2008). Monitoring and Modeling of Slope Response to Climate Changes - KEYNOTE LECTURE. Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Landslides and Engineered Slopes (pp. 67-84).
- Rahardjo, H., H. Krisdani, E.C. Leong, Y.S. Ng, M.D. Foo and C.L. Wang. (2007). Unsaturated Soil Mechanics for Solving Seepage and Slope Stability Problems - KEYNOTE LECTURE. Proceedings of Twelfth International Colloquium on Structural and Geotechnical Engineering. 10-12 December (pp. 1-38).
- Rahardjo, H., T.H. Ong, R.B. Rezaur and E.C. Leong. (2007). Factors Controlling Instability of Homogeneous Soil Slopes under Rainfall Loading. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 133(12), 1532-1543.
- Rahardjo, H. and E.C. Leong. (2006). Suction Measurements-KEYNOTE LECTURE. Proceedings of 4th International Conference on Unsaturated Soils, Geo Institute, Phoenix, Arizona (pp. 81-104)ASCE.