|Assoc Prof Leong Weng Kee |
Division of Chemistry & Biological Chemistry
School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences
College of Science
- PhD Simon Fraser University 1996
- MSc National University of Singapore 1992
- MA Cambridge University 1986
- Dip Ed Natl Institute of Education 1985
- BA Cambridge University, United Kingdom 1982
|Professor Leong joined the Division of Chemical and Biological Chemistry on 19 Jan 2009. He obtained his BA (Natural Sciences Tripos)from Cambridge University under an Overseas Merit Scholarship in 1982, and his Dip Ed (after completing his full-time NS) from NIE in 1985, before joining the teaching service. He completed his MSc in NUS in 1991, was with Glaxo Development briefly, before embarking for his PhD at Simon Fraser University. On returning to Singapore, he joined NUS as a Teaching Fellow and eventually was promoted to Associate Professor. His main research area is the chemistry of organometallic clusters and he has over 100 publications in that.|
|Professor Leong's main research area is organometallic chemistry, particularly organometallic cluster chemistry, and includes: (a) Development of novel organometallic cluster chemistry, (b) Bioorganometallic chemistry especially of clusters, (c) Mechanistic studies in catalysis and bond activation, and (d) Organometallic clusters in nanoscience and nanomaterials.|
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2009-)
- Start Up Grant (2009-)
|Current Projects |
- Anti-Markovnoikov Addition of Small Molecules
- Organometallic Chemistry
- R. Ganguly and W.K. Leong. (2011). Mechanism and Activation Parameters for the κO to μ,κ2O,O’ Bonding Mode of the Maleic Acid Ligand on an Osmium Carbonyl Cluster. Organometallics, 30(15), 3966-70.
- Y.L.K. Tan and W.K. Leong. (2011). Reaction of the Heteronuclear Cluster RuOs3(m-H)2(CO)13 with Azulenes. J. Organomet. Chem, 696(11-12), 2373-9.
- E. Kumaran, V.S. Sridevi and W.K. Leong. (2010). Orthometalated Amino-Carbene Derivatives of Iridium via Anilines and Terminal Alkynes. Organometallics, 29(23), 6417-21.
- C. Amatore, S. Arbault, G. Jaouen, A.C.W. Koh, W.K. Leong, S. Top, M.-A. Valleron, C.H. Woo. (2010). Pro-oxidant Properties of Zidovudine (AZT) and other Thymidine-Analogues in Macrophages: Implication of the Azido Moiety in Oxidative Stress. ChemMedChem, 2010(5), 296-301.
- C. Li, W.Y. Fan, W.K. Leong. (2009). Osmium Carbonyl Clusters on Gold and Silver Nanoparticles as Models for Studying the Interaction with the Metallic Surface. Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 113, 18562-9.