|Assoc Prof Hoi Chu Hong|
Division of Software & Information Systems
School of Computer Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6513 8040
- PhD The Chinese University of Hong Kong 2006
- MPhil The Chinese University of Hong Kong 2004
- BE (Computer Sci & Technology) Tsinghua University 2002
|Dr. Steven C.H. Hoi is currently an Assistant Professor in the School of Computer Engineering of Nanyang Technological University. He received his Bachelor degree in Computer Science from Tsinghua University, Beijing, P.R.China, and his Master and Ph.D degrees in Computer Science and Engineering from Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Dr. Hoi's research interests include machine learning and its applications to multimedia information retrieval, Web search and data mining, computer vision and pattern recognition. He has published over 30 referred international conference and journal papers, including IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (TMM), ACM Multimedia System Journal, International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), ACM SIGKDD Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining conference (KDD), ACM Multimedia Conference (ACM MM), IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) and International World Wide Web conference (WWW), etc.
Dr. Hoi has been often invited as a PC member/referee/reviewer for a number of premier conferences and journals, including World Wide Web (WWW) conference, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge Data Engineering (TKDE), ACM Transactions on Information System (TOIS), IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (TMM), IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI), etc. Dr. Hoi is a member of ACM and IEEE.
|Prof Hoi's research expertises are machine learning and data mining, multimedia information retrieval, Web search and ming, etc. His current research focuses on kernel machine learning with applications to several application domains, including data mining, multimedia retrieval, web search, computer vision and pattern recognition, etc.|
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2012-)
|Current Projects |
- Collaborative Learning Paradigms for Digital Media Mining and Retrieval
- Geometry Videos: Exploring Highly Detailed Motion Data in Co-space
- Learning to Effectively Recognize Handwriting
- Machine Learning Approaches for Mining Social Media Community
- Next Generation Annotation Techniques for Consumer Photos and Videos
- Social Media Community Modeling and Discovery via Machine Learning
- The Protein Binding Hot Spots Are Water Free?
- Jinfeng Zhuang, Tao Mei, Steven C. H. Hoi, Xian-Sheng Hua, Shipeng Li. (2011). Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Multimedia 2011: Modeling social strength in social media community via kernel-based learning. ACM Multimedia (pp. 113-122)Scottsdale, AZ: ACM.
- Dayong Wang, Steven C. H. Hoi, Ying He, Jianke Zhu. (2011). Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Multimedia 2011: Retrieval-based Face Annotation by Weak Label Regularized Local Coordinate Coding. ACM Multimedia (pp. 353-362)Scottsdale, AZ, USA: ACM.
- Peilin Zhao, Steven C.H. Hoi, Rong Jin. (2011). Double Updating Online Learning. Journal of Machine Learning Research, 12(1), 1587−1615.
- Jinfeng Zhuang*, Ivor W Tsang, Steven C.H. Hoi. (2011). A Family of Simple Non-Parametric Kernel Learning Algorithms from Pairwise Constraints. Journal of Machine Learning Research, 12(1), 1313−1347.
- Steven C. H. Hoi, Wei Liu, Shih-Fu Chang. (2010). Semi-Supervised Distance Metric Learning for Collaborative Image Retrieval and Clustering. ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications, 6(3).