|Assoc Prof Chen Xiaodong|
Assistant Chair (Graduate Studies), School of Materials Science & Engineering
School of Materials Science & Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6513 7350
- PhD (Summa Cum Laude) University of Munster 2006
- MS (Physical Chem) (Hons) Inst. of Chem, Chinese Acad of Sc 2002
- BS (Chem) Hons Fuzhou University 1999
|Asst Prof Chen is currently in the School of Materials Science and Engineering since Jan 2009. He received his BS degree in chemistry (honors) from Fuzhou University in China in 1999 and MS degree in physical chemistry (honors) from Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, under the guidance of Prof. Minghua Liu in 2002. After that, he moved to University of Muenster in Germany and obtained his PhD degree in biochemistry (Summa Cum Laude) under the direct of Prof. Harald Fuchs and Prof. Lifeng Chi. In 2006, he joined prof. Chad Mirkin's group at Northwestern University as postdoctoral fellow. Since 2009, he is NRF research fellow and Nanyang Asst Prof in the School of Materials Science and Engineering. He has done significant research work in the area of self-assembly, nanoelectroncis, and plasmonics, and published over 40 papers in prestigious refereed journals.|
|Currently, Prof. Chen's research focuses on three directions: (1) Nanobioelectronics: to develop integrated nanostructure-biomaterial hybrid systems for bioelectronics and probe biological processes at the nanoscale; (2) Bioinspired assembly: to mimic methods used by nature for interfacing organic and non-organic material and building hierarchical structures with advanced functions, and (3) Nanomaterials for energy conversion and storage: to explore nanoscale modules for light harvesting, charge separation, solar energy conversion, and storage.|
|Research Grant |
- A*STAR Science and Engineering Research Council (2012-2017) [by A*STAR Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC)]
- A*STAR Thematic Strategic Research Program - Nanomanufacturing (2010-)
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2012-)
- MERLION (2011-)
- MERLION (2014-)
- NRF CREATE (2011-)
- NRF CREATE (2012-)
- NRF Research Fellowship (2009-2014)
- Start Up Grant (2009-)
|Current Projects |
- Active plasmonic structures and their applications in biosensing
- Bioinspired Nanojunctions:from Programmed Assembly to Advanced Functions
- Centre for Excellence for Silicon Technologies (COE-Si)
- Integrated Plasmonic Nanostructures for Biomimetic Sensing
- Multiple Modulation of Molecular Transport Junctions
- Nanomaterials for Energy and Water Management
- Nanomaterials for Water Management I
- Nanostructured-Biomaterials hybrid systems for bioelectronics
- Organometallics for molecular plasmonics
- SinBeRISE Subproject 4 - Materials
- Lili Liu , Zhiqiang Niu , Li Zhang , Weiya Zhou , Xiaodong Chen , * and Sishen Xie. (2014). Nanostructured Graphene Composite Papers for Highly Flexible and Foldable Supercapacitors. Advanced Materials, .
- Xin Zeng, Kong Fai Tai, Tianliang Zhang, Chun Wan John Ho, Xiaodong Chen, Alfred Huan, Tze Chien Sum, Lydia H. Wong. (2014). Cu2ZnSn(S,Se)4 kesterite solar cell with 5.1% efficiency using spray pyrolysis of aqueous precursor solution followed by selenization. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 124, 55–60.
- Hartono MR, Marks RS, Chen X, Kushmaro A. (2014). Hybrid multi-walled carbon nanotubes-alginate-polysulfone beads for adsorption of bisphenol-A from aqueous solution. Desalination and Water Treatment, .
- Niu zhiqiang. (2014). A Universal Strategy to Prepare Functional Porous Graphene Hybrid Architectures. Advanced Materials, 26, doi:10.1002/adma.201400143.
- Lili Liu , Zhiqiang Niu , Li Zhang , and Xiaodong Chen *. (2014). Structural Diversity of Bulky Graphene Materials. Small, .