|Dr Chan's areas of expertise are Number Theory, Combinatorics, and Special functions. His current research works focus on sums of squares formula, the partition function and various related functions, and q-series which includes modular forms, theta functions, and basic hypergeometric series.|
- Eulerian Series Satisfying Congruences for Small Primes, and Their Modularity Properties.
- The search for new mock theta functions, new proofs, and their connections with the ranks and cranks of partitions
- Andrews, George E.; Chan, Song Heng; Kim, Byungchan. (2013). The odd moments of Ranks and Cranks. Journal of Combinatorial Theory Series A, 120(1), 77--91.
- Berndt, Bruce C.; Chan, Song Heng. (2007). Sixth order mock theta functions. Advances in Mathematics, 216(2), 770-786.
- Berndt, Bruce C.; Chan, Heng Huat; Chan, Song Heng; Liaw, Wen-Chin. (2005). Cranks and dissections in Ramanujan's lost notebook. Journal of Combinatorial Theory Series A, 109(1), 91-120.
- Chan, Song Heng. (2005). Generalized Lambert series identities. Proceedings of the London Mathematical Society, 91(3), 598-622.
- Chan, Heng Huat; Chan, Song Heng; Liu, Zhiguo. (2004). Domb's numbers and Ramanujan-Sato type series for $1/\pi$. Advances in Mathematics, 186(2), 396-410.