|Assoc Prof Leong Eng Choon |
Division of Infrastructure Systems and Maritime Studies
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4774
- PhD University of Western Australia 1991
- MEng National University of Singapore 1989
- BEng(Hons) National University of Singapore 1986
|Currently ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR at Nanyang Technological University (Singapore). He has more than 180 publications in international journals and conferences. Recipient of the 2004 ASTM Best Practical Paper for Geotechnical Practice Award. He has been involved in the organization of a number of regional and international conferences. He chairs the Technical Committee for Civil Works and Geotechnics and is the Deputy Chair for the SAC Council Committee for Inspection Bodies. He is also a member of the Building and Construction Standards Committee and Technical Assessor for SAC-SINGLAS. For his contributions to SAC-SINGLAS, he was awarded the SAC Assessor Awards (Bronze, Silver and Gold).|
|Unsaturated soils, soil dynamics, field and laboratory tests, foundation engineering and numerical modelling.
Current research projects include:
1. Dynamic properties of Singapore soils
2. Instrumentation for the Study of Rainfall - Induced Slope Failures in Singapore
3. Soil Improvement for Tree Stability and Tree Root Systems
4. Slope Repair Technology in Singapore
5. Development of specialised container technology for growing trees in Singapore
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2006-) [by National Parks Board]
- Defence Science and Technology Agency (2010-) [by MINDEF - Defence Science & Technology Agency (DSTA)]
- Housing and Development Board - NTU (2013-) [by Housing & Development Board]
- MINDEF-NTU Joint Applied R&D Co-operation Programme (JPP) (2013-) [by Nanyang Technological University, MINDEF - Defence Medical Research Institute, DSTA]
- NRF Competitive Research Program (2010-) [by National Research Foundation (NRF)]
- National Parks - NTU (2011-) [by National Parks Board]
- National Parks - NTU (2012-) [by National Parks Board]
- Supplementary Equipment Purchase (2007-) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
|Current Projects |
- Development of Specialised Structural Cells for Growing Street Trees in Constrained Planting Spaces
- Direct contracting with NTU on training services for advances slope engineering based on therory of unsaturated soil mechanics
- Dynamic Properties of Singapore Soils
- Effects of Rainfall on Tree Stability
- Mitigation of pressures on underground structures due to ground shock
- Rainfall-Induced Slope Failures.(NTU/NSTB/PWD)
- Slope Instrumentation for the Study of Rainfall -Induced Slope Failures in Singapore (2 of 3)
- Slope Instrumentation for the Study of Rainfall -Induced Slope Failures in Singapore (3 of 3)
- Soil Improvement for Tree Stability (1 of 2)
- Soil Improvement for Tree Stability (2 of 2)
- Sustainable Urban Waste Management for 2020_Project 1: Communities As Renewable Resource Recovery Centres
- Sustainable Urban Waste Management for 2020_Project 2: Wastewater Treatment Plant as an Urban Eco Power Station
- Sustainable Urban Waste Management for 2020_Project 3: Rapid Land Reclamation of Closed Urban Dumping Grounds
- Underground Target Detection using Ground Tremor Analysis
- E.C. Leong, J. Cahyadi, H. Rahardjo. (2009). Measuring shear and compression wave velocities of soil using bender–extender elements. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 46(7), 792-812.
- Leong. E.C., Anand, S., Cheong, H.K. and Lim, C.H. (2007). Re-examination of peak stress and scaled distance due to ground shock. International Journal of Impact Engineering, 34(9), 1487.
- Rahardjo, H. and E.C. Leong. (2006). Suction Measurements-KEYNOTE LECTURE. Proceedings of 4th International Conference on Unsaturated Soils, Geo Institute, Phoenix, Arizona (pp. 81-104)ASCE.
- He Liangcai, Leong, E.C., Ahmed Algamal. (2006). A miniature tensiometer for measurement of high matric suction. 4th International Conference on Unsaturated Soils (pp. 1897-1907)ASCE.
- Tsaparas, I., H. Rahardjo, D.G. Toll and E.C. Leong. (2003). Infiltration characteristics of two instrumented residual soil slopes. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 40(5), 1012-1032.