|Asst Prof Claus-Dieter Ohl has joined NTU in July 2007. He is working on experimental fluid mechanics and biophysics. He obtained his Diplom in Physics (1989) in Darmstadt and his PhD (1994) in Goettingen (both in Germany). Before joining NTU he had a postdoc position at Johns Hopkins University (1999) and at Twente University (The Netherlands) from 1999-2003. In 2004 he became a received the VIDI fellow award and started a research group "Jetting into Cells" at Twente University. His main interest is high-speed fluid mechanics and the interaction with biological cells, in particular drug delivery, lab-on-a-chip systems, lithotripsy, bubble dynamics, and surface cleaning. He has an adjunct appointment with IHCP (A*STAR, Singapore) and the University of Twente. Claus-Dieter Ohl has authored more than 40 refereed articles, organized sessions on international conferences, and referees for all leading journals in his research field.|
|My general research interest is Experimental Fluid Dynamics which is focused on cavitation phenomena and gas bubble dynamics. In particular I?m interested and have been studying:|
* air entrainment and rising bubbles,
* laser generated bubbles,
* bubble shock-wave interaction,
* cavitation nucleation on surfaces and particles,
* bubble cell interaction including drug delivery,
* bubble dynamics in confined geometries and in microfluidics,
* digital holography, and
* magnetic-nanoparticle coated bubbles.
More information can be found on my homepage:
- A novel trapping technique for trapping large nanoparticle coated bubbles
- Cavitation in Plants: Probing the Miracle Experimentally
- Controlled Cavitation In Microfluidic Systems : Mixing, Pumping, and Object Manipulation
- Development of a TIRF Technique to Study Flow and Shear Stress
- Droplet Impact on Thin Films
- Handheld Ultrasonic Bath Analyzer
- How Bubbles Clean: Experimental and Numerical Study of Ultrasonic Cleaning on the Nanoscale
- Physical Characterization of Elastic Properties of Malaria Infested Red Blood Cells
- Silvestre Roberto Gonzalez-Avila, Firdaus Prabowo, Anshuman Kumar, Claus-Dieter Ohl. (2012). Improved ultrasonic cleaning of membranes with tandem frequency excitation. Journal of Membrane Science, .
- Yang Y, Liu AQ, Lei L, Chin LK, Ohl CD, Wang QJ, Yoon HS. (2011). A tunable 3D optofluidic waveguide dye laser via two centrifugal Dean flow streams. Lab on a Chip, 11(18), 3182-3187.
- Thoroddsen, S.T., Takehara, K., Etoh, T.G., Ohl, C.D. (2009). Spray and microjets produced by focusing a laser pulse into a hemispherical drop. Physics of Fluids, 21(11).
- Quinto-Su, P.A., Lim, K.Y., Ohl, C.D. (2009). Cavitation bubble dynamics in microfluidic gaps of variable height. Physical Review E, 80(4).
- Zhao, X., Quinto-Su, P. A., Ohl, C.D. (2009). Dynamics of magnetic bubbles in Acoustic and Magnetic Fields. Physical Review Letters, 102, 024501.