|Assoc Prof Low Bak Kong|
Division of Infrastructure Systems and Maritime Studies
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 5270
- PhD University of California, Berkeley 1985
- MS Massachusetts Institute of Technology 1979
- BS Massachusetts Institute of Technology 1979
|Bak Kong obtained his BS and MS degrees from MIT, and PhD degree from U.C.Berkeley. He is a Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers, and a registered professional engineer of Malaysia. He is currently an associate professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore.
Apart from his long teaching and research career at NTU, he also conducted research while on sabbatical leaves at HKUST (Sept-Dec 1996), University of Texas at Austin (Jan-April 1997) and Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (May- August 2006). Courses he taught over his years at NTU include topics on engineering geology, soil improvement methods, soil mechanics, foundation engineering, earth retaining structures, soil slope stability, rock slope stability, calculus, informal logic and writing skills, applied statistical methods, stereographic projection, rock mechanics and underground rock engineering. He lives with his wife and two children. He likes nature, traveling and reading.
His list of publications can be found at http://alum.mit.edu/www/bklow.
|Reliability analysis in geotechnical engineering, soil and rock slope stability, ground improvement, rock engineering, and engineering analysis accounting for uncertainty. Current research works focus on probabilistic approach in connection with stability and ground-support interactions in underground construction in rocks, and research on the links and complementary roles between reliability-based design and Eurocode 7.|
|Research Grant |
- JTC Corporation - NTU (2007-) [by JTC Corporation]
- JTC Corporation - NTU (2007-) [by Jurong Town Corp]
|Current Projects |
- The Jurong rock cavern project at Banyan Basin, Jurong Island (JTC C05502007)
- The Jurong rock cavern project at Banyan Basin, Jurong Island (JTC C05502007)05: Stability and Deformation Analysis with Probabilistic Extensions
- Low B.K., Tang Wilson H. (2007). Efficient spreadsheet algorithm for first-order reliability method. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 133(12), 1378-1387.
- Low B.K., Lacasse S., Nadim F. (2007). Slope Reliability Analysis Accounting for Spatial Variation. GEORISK: Assessment and Management of Risk for Engineered Systems and Geohazards, 1(4), 177-189.
- Low B.K. (2007). Reliability analysis of rock slopes involving correlated nonnormals. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mineral Sciences and Geomechanical Abstracts, 44(6), 922-935.
- Xu B., Low B.K. (2006). Probabilistic stability analyses of embankments based on finite-element method. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 132(11), 1444-1454.
- Low B K. (2005). Reliability-based design applied to retaining walls. Geotechnique, 55(1), 63-75.