|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Cornelius Anthony Murphy
Associate Dean (Undergraduate Education), College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
School of Humanities
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
- PhD (English) The National University of Ireland 1999
- MA (Modern English) The National University of Ireland 1991
- BA (English & History) The National University of Ireland 1987
|Neil Murphy is a Professor of English at NTU, Singapore, and has previously taught at the University of Ulster and the American University of Beirut. He studied at University College Galway (BA & MA), and University College Dublin (PhD). He is the author of Irish Fiction and Postmodern Doubt (2004) and editor of Aidan Higgins: The Fragility of Form (2010). He has co-edited (with Keith Hopper) a special Flann O’Brien centenary issue of the Review of Contemporary Fiction (2011) and The Short Fiction of Flann O’Brien (2013). He has also co-edited (with Keith Hopper) a four book series related to the work of Dermot Healy, including a scholarly edition of Fighting with Shadows (2015), as well as Dermot Healy: The Collected Short Stories (2015), Dermot Healy: The Collected Plays (2016), and Writing the Sky: Observations and Essays on Dermot Healy (2016). His monograph, John Banville (2018) was published by Bucknell University Press. He has published widely on contemporary Irish fiction.|
|Neil Murphy's primary research interests include the following:
20th/21st Century Irish literature
Aesthetics and literature
- An Aesthetic Analysis of the Contemporary Novelist John Banville (Literary Studies & Aesthetics)
- Contemporary Fiction and Art: A Narrative-Interdisciplinary Engagement
- Dermot Healy: A Multi-Volume Literary-Critical Research Project
- Special journal issue of SARE, the Journal of the Malaysian Commonwealth Literature and Language Studies Association (MACLALS)
- The Fragility of Form in Aidan Higgins’s Fiction
- Neil Murphy. (2018). John Banville (Contemporary Irish Writers Series). Bucknell University Press.
- Murphy Neil. Hopper Keith. (2015). Dermot Healy’s Collected Short Stories. Dalket Archive Press.
- Murphy, Neil. (2013). The Short Fiction of Flann O’Brien. Dalkey Archive Press.
- Neil Murphy (ed). (2010). Aidan Higgins & the Fragility of Form. Illinois: Dalkey Archive Press.
- Single Author - N.Murphy. (2005). Flann O'Brien. The Review of Contemporary Fiction, , 7-41.
« Back to Research Directory