|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Cornelius Anthony Murphy
Associate Dean (Undergraduate Education), College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
School of Humanities
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
- PhD (English) The National University of Ireland 1999
- MA (Modern English) The National University of Ireland 1991
- BA (English & History) The National University of Ireland 1987
|Neil Murphy is Associate Professor with the Division of English at NTU, Singapore, and has previously taught at the University of Ulster and the American University of Beirut. He studied at University College Galway (BA & MA), and University College Dublin (PhD). He is the author of Irish Fiction and Postmodern Doubt (2004) and has co-edited two collections of scholarly essays, British-Asian Fiction: Framing the Contemporary (2008), and Literature and Ethics (2008). He has also edited a collection of essays entitled Aidan Higgins: The Fragility of Form (2010), and is the editor of the revised scholarly edition of Higgins' novel, Balcony of Europe (2010). He has also co-edited several special journal issues, including the Flann O'Brien special centenary issue of The Review of Contemporary Fiction (2011), and an issue of SARE (Southeast Asian Review of English) (2012). In addition, he has published numerous articles and book chapters on Irish literature, contemporary fiction, postmodernism, and theories of reading and is currently writing a book on contemporary fiction.|
|Neil Murphy's primary research interests include the following:
20th/21st Century Irish literature
Aesthetics and literature
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2013-2017)
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2014-)
- An Aesthetic Analysis of the Contemporary Novelist John Banville (Literary Studies & Aesthetics)
- Dermot Healy: A Multi-Volume Literary-Critical Research Project
- Special journal issue of SARE, the Journal of the Malaysian Commonwealth Literature and Language Studies Association (MACLALS)
- The Fragility of Form in Aidan Higgins’s Fiction
- Neil Murphy (ed). (2010). Aidan Higgins & the Fragility of Form. Illinois: Dalkey Archive Press.
- Aidan Higgins (Scholarly Editor, Neil Murphy). (2010). Balcony of Europe. Illinois: Dalkey Archive Press.
- Neil Murphy, co-edited with TS. Wagner, D. Jernigan & B. Quigley. (2009). Literature and Ethics: Questions of Responsibility in Literary Studies. Amherst NY: Cambria Press.
- Neil Murphy & Sim Wai Chew (Eds.). (2008). British Asian Fiction: Framing the Contemporary. Amherst NY: Cambria Press.
- Single Author - N.Murphy. (2005). Flann O'Brien. The Review of Contemporary Fiction, , 7-41.
« Back to Research Directory