|Dr. Baile ZHANG is currently an assistant professor in the School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences. Before he joined NTU in 2011, he was a postdoctoral associate in the biological group "BioSyM" at Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology Centre in Singapore, and a visiting scientist in the 3D Optics Group in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at MIT in United States. He received his Ph.D. in 2009 from MIT, following his B.S. degree in 2003 and M. S. degree in 2006 from Tsinghua University in Beijing, all majored in Electrical Engineering. His current research interests include electromagnetic wave theory and applications, metamaterials, optical microscopy, and photonics. He has published more than 20 journal papers. His works have been highlighted by many scientific magazines and public media, including Nature, Science, Science News, Scientific American, National Geographic, The Guardian, The Straits Times, Channel NewsAsia, and so on. His recent work of invisibility cloaking was voted as the 4th place of “Top 10 Breakthroughs of 2010” by Physics World, and as the 57th place of "Top 100 Stories of 2011" by Discover Magazine. He is a recipient of MIT Technology Review TR35 Global Young Innovators Award (“top 35 innovators under the age of 35”) of 2012. He was invited to join TED2013 Conference in Long Beach, California, as the first Chinese TED Fellow, and was highlighted as one of "20 Super Cool People" attending this conference. He serves on the Editorial Board of Scientific Reports, a new journal from Nature Publishing Group.|
- Theory and Application of Dielectric Metamaterail Design in Novel Optical and Photonic Devices
- Y. Luo, B. Zhang,* T. Han, Z. Chen, Y. Duan, C.-W. Chu, G. Barbastathis, and C. W. Qiu*. (2013). Phase-preserved optical elevator. Optics Express, 22, 6650-6657.
- X. Lin, Y. Xu, A. A. Hakro, T. Hasan, R. Hao, B. Zhang, and H. Chen. (2013). Ab initio optical study of graphene on hexagonal boron nitride and fluorographene substrates. Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 1, 1618.
- X. Lin, S. Lin, Y. Xu, A. A. Hakro, T. Hasan, B. Zhang, B. Yu, J. Luo, E. Li, and H. Chen. (2013). Ab initio study of electronic and optical behavior of two-dimensional silicon carbide. Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 1, 2131.
- H. Y. Xu, X. J. Wang, T. Y. Yu, H. D. Sun* & B. Zhang*. (2012). Radiation-Suppressed plasmonic open resonators designed by nonmagnetic transformation optics. Scientific Reports, 2, 784.
- S. Xu, X. Cheng, S. Xi, R. Zhang, H. O. Moser, Z. Shen, Y. Xu*, Z. Huang*, X. Zhang, F. Yu, B. Zhang* and H. Chen*. (2012). Experimental demonstration of a free-space cylindrical cloak without superluminal propagation. Physical Review Letters, 109, 223903.