|Dr. Cao is an Assistant Professor in Division of Environmental and Water Resources Engineering (EWRE) at School of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE), jointly appointed with Singapore Centre on Environmental Life Sciences Engineering (SCELSE). Before he joined NTU, Dr. Cao spent about two years working in the microbiology group and the Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (EMSL) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) of the United States, as a visiting researcher and then a postdoctoral research associate. He got his Ph.D. degree in chemical and biomolecular engineering from National University of Singapore. Before he joined PNNL, he was a postdoctoral research associate of Washington State University. Dr. Cao’s research focuses on fundamental understanding of biofilm matrix formation as well as applied research on interactions of biofilm and EPS with emerging environmental contaminants. He also has broader interests in biological treatment of waste/wastewater including biodegradation, bioremediation, and waste-to-energy (or value-added products) bioconversion.|
- A Novel Approach to Reutilize Incineration Bottom Ash (IBA) for Civil Engineering Applications: IBA Aerated Concrete
- Biofilm Matrix in Environmental and Biotechnological Applications
- Biogenic nanomaterials for anti-virulence therapy to combat bacterial infection
- Novel Biogenic Nanomaterials as Nanocatalysts and Nanoantimicrobials (SCELSE)
- Rapid Monitoring Fecal Indicator Bacteria Using Paper Chip Electrochemical Immunoassay
- Yong Y, Cai Z, Yu Y, Chen P, Jiang R, Cao B, Sun J, Wang JY, Song H. (2013). Increase of riboflavin biosynthesis underlies enhancement of extracellular electron transfer of Shewanella in alkaline microbial fuel cells. Bioresource Technology, 130, 763-768.
- Ng CK, K Sivarkumar, X Liu, M Madhaiyan, LH Ji, L Yang, C Tang, H Song, S Kjelleberg and B Cao. (2013). Influence of outer membrane c-type cytochromes on particle size and activity of extracellular nanoparticles produced by Shewanella oneidensis. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 110(7), 1831-1837.
- Wang VB, S-L Chua, B Cao, E Marsili, S Kjelleberg, M Givskov, T Tolker-Nielsen, H Song, JSC Loo and L Yang. (2013). Engineering PQS biosynthesis pathway for enhancement of bioelectricity production in Pseudomonas aeruginosa microbial fuel cells. PLoS ONE, 8(5), e63129.
- Liu X, S Qi, Y Li, L Yang, B Cao and C Tang. (2013). Synthesis and characterization of novel antibacterial silver nanocomposite nanofiltration and forward osmosis membrane based on layer-by-layer assembly. Water Research, 47(9), 3081-3092.
- Wei Jie Yap, Jinsong Zhang, Winson C.L. Lay, Bin Cao, Anthony G. Fane, Yu Liu. (2012). State of the art of osmotic membrane bioreactors for water reclamation. Bioresource Technology, 122, 217-222.