|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Bernhard Schmidt
Division of Mathematical Sciences
School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences
College of Science
- PhD(Maths) Universitat Augsburg 1995
- MS(Maths) Justus-Liebig-Universitat Gieben 1993
|Assoc. Prof. Bernhard Schmidt joined NTU on 28 April 2005, and is working at the Division of Mathematical Sciences, School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences. He is an internationally renowned researcher in the fields of Finite Geometry and Algebraic Number Theory. He created a new mathematical method called the “field descent” which is widely known in the research community. Since its first appearance in 1999, this method has led to the solution of several previously intractable problems. Recently Schmidt obtained a breakthrough in the computation of Gauss sums, which is an essential tool for further developments in Finite Geometry and Coding Theory. He has presented his seminal results in a series of plenary lectures in North America and Europe. In 1997 he received the Kirkman medal of the Institute of Combinatorics and its Applications which is awarded for outstanding achievements of researchers in the early stage of their career.|
Algebraic Number Theory
- Circulant Weighing Matrices
- Efficient Arithmetic over cyclotomic fields and applications to combinatorics
- K.H. Leung, S.L. Ma, B. Schmidt. (2007). Proper Partial Geometries with Abelian Singer groups. Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A, .
- K.H. Leung, S.L. Ma, B. Schmidt. (2006). New Hadamard Matrices of Order 4p^2 obtained from Jacobi Sums of Order 16. Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A, .
- S.L. Ma, K.H. Leung. (2004). Nonexistence of abelian difference sets: Lander's conjecture for prime power orders. American Mathematical Society. Transactions, .
- B. Schmidt. (1999). Cyclotomic Integers and Finite Geometry. American Mathematical Society. Journal, .
- S.L. Ma, B. Schmidt. (1995). The Structure of Abelian Groups Containing McFarland Difference Sets. Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A, .
« Back to Category Write-up