|Asst Prof Augustine Pang|
Division of Public & Promotional Communication
Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Phone: (+65)6790 6676
Office: SCI 03-12
- PhD (Journalism) University of Missouri-Columbia 2006
- MA Macquarie University 1997
- BA National University of Singapore 1991
|Augustine, or Gus as he is commonly known, graduated from the Missouri School of Journalism, the first and foremost journalism school in the US., specializing in crisis communication. His research interests include crisis management and communication, image management and repair, public relations, and media management. He teaches and supervises crisis management and public relations research from undergraduate to graduate levels.
Besides contributing book chapters to leading communication books like the Handbook of Crisis Communication (2010, Wiley-Blackwell), Handbook of Public Relations (2010, Sage), and Handbook of Communication and Corporate Social Responsibility (2011, Wiley-Blackwell), his works have appeared in peer-reviewed journals like Journal of Public Relations Research, Public Relations Review, Corporate Communication: An International Journal, Journal of Contingency and Crisis Management, International Journal of Strategic Communication, Public Relations Journal, Journal of Communication Management, Journal of International Communication and Asia Pacific Media Educator, amongst others.
He is the regional editor for Asia for Corporate Communication: An International Journal, and also co-edited a special issue of Media Asia on Public Relations in Asia published in November 2009. He also co-edited an issue on management consulting in the International Journal of Strategic Communication published March 2013.
He is thankful for the top research awards won at leading international conferences including the Corporate Communications International Conference (2009 and 2008); the Association of Educators in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) conference (2010 and 2007), and the International Public Relations Research Conference (2009, 2004 and 2005). He has also been invited to speak at leading professional conferences organized by the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) in the US, and in Singapore, Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Earth Observatory of Singpaore, and the Singapore Police Force.
Professionally, Augustine worked as a news correspondent where he won multiple awards at Singapore Press Holdings for his coverage in Singapore and the Asia-Pacific region. He has also consulted for organizations in both the US and Singapore and continues to conduct executive programs to senior executives.
He holds memberships at Association of Educators in Journalism and Mass Communication (US), International Communication Association (US), Association of Business Communication (US), Singapore Press Club, and is an advisor-member with Corporate Communications International (US).
|Crisis management and communication
Image management and repair
|Research Grant |
|Current Projects |
- Desirable Facial Traits of Organizational Spokesperson: Portraying Credibility, Authority and Respectability in a Crisis
- Ethics in business crisis communication: unearthing organizational factors that influence the adoption of ethical stances during crises
- Multistage Testing of the Integrated Crisis Mapping (ICM) Model: Toward a Publics-based, emotion-driven Conceptualization in Crisis Communication
- Preparedness versus Paranoia: Examining the Effects of Over-Communicating Health Crisis Preparedness Messages
- Sorry - but not sorry enough: Examining how apologies are uttered in times of crises
- Toward a Journalist-centric Approach in Managing the Media by Public Relations Practitioners: Testing the Mediating the Media Model
- When Should Organizations Apologize? Examining the Timing of Apologies and How These Affect Organizational Reputation and Stakeholder Relationship
- Work and Cancer Survivors: A Multi-Faceted Stakeholder Approach in Singapore
- Jin, Y., Pang, A., & Cameron, G. T. (2012). Toward a Publics-Driven, Emotion-Based Conceptualization in Crisis Communication: Unearthing Dominant Emotions in Multi-Staged Testing of the Integrated Crisis Mapping (ICM) Model. Journal of Public Relations Research , 24, 266-298.
- Chua, A., & Pang, A. (2012). US government efforts to repair its image after the 2008. Public Relations Review, 38, 150-152.
- Low, Y., Varughese, J., & Pang, A. (2011). Communicating Crisis: How Culture Influences Image Repair in Western and Asian Governments. Corporate Communications: An International Journal, 16(3), 218-242.
- Pang, A. (2010). Mediating the Media: A journalist-centric model in managing the media by corporate communication practitioners. Corporate Communications: An International Journal, 15(2), 192-204.
- Pang, A., Jin, Y., & Cameron, G. T. (2010). Contingency Theory of Strategic Conflict Management: Directions for the Practice of Crisis Communication from a Decade of Theory Development, Discovery and DialogueHandbook of Crisis Communication. (pp. 527-549)..