|Chen Zhong graduated with BEng in Metallurgy & Materials Science in 1984 in China. He started his academic career in 1987 (Assistant Lecturer & Lecturer) right after obtaining his MEng degree in Materials Science and Engineering. In 1992, he was awarded a one-year visiting scholarship by the Ministry of Education of China to work in the University of Reading, U.K. After completing the visit, he was financially supported by the Overseas Research Scholarship (ORS) awarded by the Committee of Vice Chancellors and Principals (CVCP) in the U.K. and an EU research grant to pursue his PhD under the supervision of Prof. Tony Atkins.
In April 1997, Dr. Chen came to Singapore to join the newly founded Institute of Materials Research and Engineering (IMRE), a national research institute under the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR, formerly known as NSTB) of Singapore government. In March 2000, the passion for teaching brought him back to the education arena to become a faculty member in the Materials Engineering division of the School of Applied Science (The division grew to the current School of Materials Science and Engineering), at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU).
Chen Zhong is an editor or member of the editorial board of 6 international journals, and has served as reviewer for more than 50 international journals (e.g. Acta Materialia, Applied Physics Letter, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Journal of Electronic Materials, Journal of Materials Research, Journal of Physical Chemistry, Nanoscale, Surface & Coatings Technology, Materials Science and Engineering A & B, Scripta Materialia and Thin Solid Films). He has also served as an external reviewer for Innovative Manufacturing and Construction Research Centre (IMCRC), EPSRC, UK (2007-2011).
Chen Zhong has authored 6 patents, 3 invited book chapters, and more than 100 peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Advanced metal bonding through self assembled monolayers
- Braided composite modelling - failure analysis and progressive damage prediction
- Low-temperature Solution-processed Protonated Titanium Oxides for Photocatalytic Applications
- Metallic Nanoparticles Enabled Low Temperature Processes for Interconnections in Flexible Electronics and 3D Electronics Packaging
- Modelling of Braided Textile Composites (under Advanced Functional Materials Programme)
- Multi-functional Sol-gel Coatings for Wind-turbine Blade Protection
- Nanostructured Materials, Systems and Devices
- Reinforced Polyolefins
- SinBeRISE Subproject 2 - Photoelectrochemical Cell
- Study of Process Responses, Intermetallics and Reliability of Palladium-Copper Wire Bonding
- Towards advanced light-weight materials: reinforcing thermoplastics with polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane (POSS)-modified nanoclay
- Gao J, Cao S, Tay Q, Liu Y, Yu L, Ye K, Mun PCS, Li Y, Rakesh G, Loo SCJ, Chen Z, Zhao Y, Xue C, Zhang Q. (2013). Molecule-Based Water-Oxidation Catalysts (WOCs): Cluster-Size-Dependent Dye-Sensitized Polyoxometalates for Visible-Light-Driven O2 Evolution. Scientific Reports, 3, 1853.
- Wanshuang Liu, Kwang Liang Koh, Jinlin Lu, Liping Yang, Silei Phua, JunhuaKong, Zhong Chen and Xuehong Lu. (2012). Simultaneous catalyzing and reinforcing effects of imidazole-functionalized graphene in anhydride-cured epoxies. Journal of Materials Chemistry, 22(35), 18395-18402.
- Pushkar Kanhere, Jianwei Zheng and Chen Zhong. (2012). 1. Design and Synthesis of Visible-light Active Photocatalysts for Solar Hydrogen Production: An Example with Doped NaTaO3 System. UK-Singapore symposium: New approaches to emerging energy systems.
- Xu, H., Liu, C., Silberschmidt, V. V., Pramana, S. S., White, T. J., Chen, Z., Acoff, V. L. (2011). Intermetallic phase transformations in Au-Al wire bonds. Intermetallics, 19, 1808-1816.
- Xu, H., Liu, C., Silberschmidt, V. V., Pramana, S. S., White, T. J., Chen, Z., Acoff, V. L. (2011). New mechanisms of void growth in Au-Al wire bonds: Volumetric shrinkage and intermetallic oxidation.. Scripta Materialia, 65, 642-645.