|Chen Zhong graduated with BEng in Metallurgy & Materials Science in 1984 in China. He started his academic career in 1987 (Assistant Lecturer & Lecturer) right after obtaining his MEng degree in Materials Science and Engineering. In 1992, he was awarded a one-year visiting scholarship by the Ministry of Education of China to work in the University of Reading, U.K. After completing the visit, he was financially supported by the Overseas Research Scholarship (ORS) awarded by the Committee of Vice Chancellors and Principals (CVCP) in the U.K. and an EU research grant to pursue his PhD under the supervision of Prof. Tony Atkins.
In April 1997, Dr. Chen came to Singapore to join the newly founded Institute of Materials Research and Engineering (IMRE), a national research institute under the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR, formerly known as NSTB) of Singapore government. In March 2000, the passion for teaching brought him back to the education arena to become a faculty member in the Materials Engineering division of the School of Applied Science (The division grew to the current School of Materials Science and Engineering), at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU).
Chen Zhong is an editor or member of the editorial board of 6 international journals, and has served as reviewer for more than 50 international journals (e.g. Acta Materialia, Applied Physics Letter, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Journal of Electronic Materials, Journal of Materials Research, Journal of Physical Chemistry, Nanoscale, Surface & Coatings Technology, Materials Science and Engineering A & B, Scripta Materialia and Thin Solid Films). He has also served as an external reviewer for Innovative Manufacturing and Construction Research Centre (IMCRC), EPSRC, UK (2007-2011).
Chen Zhong has authored 6 patents, 3 invited book chapters, and more than 100 peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Advanced metal bonding through self assembled monolayers
- Braided Composite Modelling-Failure Analysis and Progressive Damage Prediction (4th project of 5 projects under Proj A - Advanced Functional Mat'ls Prog 2)
- Efficient wafering and texturing of single and multi-crystalline silicon for solar cells
- Electrodeposition of Gold and Nickel Films for Smart Card Application
- Low-temperature Solution-processed Protonated Titanium Oxides for Photocatalytic Applications
- Metallic Nanoparticles Enabled Low Temperature Processes for Interconnections in Flexible Electronics and 3D Electronics Packaging
- Modelling of Braided Textile Composites (under Advanced Functional Materials Programme)
- Multi-functional Sol-gel Coatings for Wind-turbine Blade Protection
- Nanostructured Materials, Systems and Devices
- Reinforced Polyolefins
- SinBeRISE Subproject 2 - Photoelectrochemical Cell
- Study of Process Responses, Intermetallics and Reliability of Palladium-Copper Wire Bonding
- Sub-Project 1 - Modelling of Braided Textile Composites
- Sub-Project 4- Braided Composite Modelling-Failure Analysis and Progressive Damage Prediction
- Towards advanced light-weight materials: reinforcing thermoplastics with polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane (POSS)-modified nanoclay
- Eric Phua Jian Rong, I Made Riko , Eva Wai Leong Ching, Jason Scott Herrin, Wong Chee Cheong, Chen Zhong, Vivek Chidambaram Nachiappan,Gan Chee Lip,Daniel Rhee Min Woo. (2013). Investigation on the reliability of wire bonding with different pad surface finishes for harsh environment applications. International Conference on Materials for Advanced Technologies (ICMAT 2013).
- I Made Riko, Eric Phua Jian Rong, Tan Key Wen, Ong Wei Chuan, Clare Huang Guanqi, Ong Hock Guan, Vivek Chidambaram Nachiappan, Wong Chee Cheong, Chen Zhong, Gan Chee Lip. (2013). Evaluation of Refractory Metals for Package Level Interconnection in a Harsh Environment. International Conference and Exhibition on High Temperature Electronics Network (HiTEN).
- Gao J, Cao S, Tay Q, Liu Y, Yu L, Ye K, Mun PCS, Li Y, Rakesh G, Loo SCJ, Chen Z, Zhao Y, Xue C, Zhang Q. (2013). Molecule-Based Water-Oxidation Catalysts (WOCs): Cluster-Size-Dependent Dye-Sensitized Polyoxometalates for Visible-Light-Driven O2 Evolution. Scientific Reports, 3, 1853.
- Eric Phua Jian Rong, Liu Ming ,I Made Riko, Wong Chee Cheong, Chen Zhong, Gan Chee Lip. (2013). Novel encapsulation materials for High Pressure-High Temperature (HPHT) applications. International Conference and Exhibition on High Temperature Electronics Network (HiTEN).
- Eric Phua Jian Rong, I Made Riko, Ahmed Sharif, Wong Chee Cheong, Chen Zhong, Daniel Rhee MinWoo, Gan Chee Lip. (2013). Electronic packages for high pressure applications. 63rd IEEE Electronic Components and Technology Conference.