|Yew-Soon Ong is currently Director of the Centre for Computational Intelligence and an Associate Professor with the School of Computer Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He received his Bachelors and Masters degrees in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from Nanyang Technological University and subsequently his PhD from University of Southampton, UK.
He is editor-in-chief of Memetic Computing Journal (Springer), associate editor of IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, Cybernetics- Part B, International Journal of Systems Science, editorial board member of Soft Computing Journal and chief editor of Book Series on Studies in Adaptation, Learning, and Optimization. He is also guest editors of IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, IEEE Trans SMC-B, Soft Computing Journal, Journal of Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines, co-edited several books, including Multi-Objective Memetic Algorithms, Evolutionary Computation in Dynamic and Uncertain Environments, and a volume on Advances in Natural Computation published by Springer Verlag. His current research interests is in computational intelligence, spanning: Memetic computing, Evolutionary computation, Machine Learning and Cloud Computing.
He chaired the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Emergent Technology Technical Committee in 2011-2012 and is founder of the Task Force on Memetic Computing. Currently he chairs the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Intelligent Systems Applications Technical Committee. He has coauthored over 120 refereed publications comprising of 57 refereed journals, 88 refereed conference papers and 5 book chapters, excluding 5 edited books, 3 edited special issues and 2 patents filed. His research grants in the last five years amounts to several million Singapore dollars. These comprises of external research funding from both national and international partners that includes National Grid Office, A*STAR, Singapore Technologies Dynamics, Boeing Research & Development (USA), Rolls-Royce (UK) and Honda Research Institute Europe (Germany), National Research Foundation and MDA-GAMBIT. His research work on Memetic Algorithm was featured by Thomson Scientific's Essential Science Indicators as one of the most cited emerging area of research in August 2007. Recently, he also received the 2012 IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation 'Outstanding Paper Award' for his work pertaining to the modeling of Probabilistic Memetic Framework. In teaching, he has also received numerous awards including the Nanyang Excellence Award for Teaching in 2008, Most Popular Lecturer Award 2009, featured with ‘Turning Stones into Diamonds’ in the Bright Minds Magazine and recently invited as Fellow of Renaissance Engineering Programme at Nanyang Technological University.
- Accelerating the Design of Alloy Materials via Genetic Algorithm based First-Principles Simulations
- Agent-augmented co-space: Growing cognitive autonomous agents for context-aware personalized experience in co-space
- Constrained Flocking Animation & Modeling Research
- Disaster Evacuation Planning Using Memetic Computing, Singapore Technologies Dynamics
- Efficient Model-Based Approaches for Large-Scale and Constrained Multi-Objective Design Optimization
- Improved Design via Evoltionary Algorithms
- Innovation Design Via Evolutionary Algorithms 2 (Idea-2)
- Large Scale Hybrid Storage System
- Master Facilitative Control Tower For Risk Management of Complex Supply Chains
- Memetic Computing for Autonomous Vehicle Operations
- Multi-Platform Game Innovation Centre (Magic)
- Mutli-objective Vehicle Routing for Last Mile Logistics
- SIMTech-NTU Joint Laboratory and Collaborative Research Programme on " Complex Systems in Manufacturing Operations and Supply Chain Networks
- Structual Analysis and Characterisation of Protein Complexes
- Towards Effective Trust Management with Desired Properties for Vehicular Ad-hoc Networks to Improve Road Safety and Reduce Congestion
- Q. C. Nguyen, Y. S. Ong, M. H. Lim. (2009). A Probabilistic Memetic Framework. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, 13(3), 604-623.