|Assoc Prof Soh Star |
Associate Professor (Practice)
Division of Strategy, Management and Organisation
College of Business (Nanyang Business School)
Phone: (+65)6790 6137
- PhD The Ohio State University 2000
- MA The Ohio State University 1998
- GDipPM Singapore Institute of Management 1994
- BSc (Psych) (Hons) University of Manchester 1988
|Dr. Soh Star joined the Division of Strategy, Management and Organisation in 2008. He is also an affiliated faculty member of SAF-NTU Academy since 2010.|
His previous appointment was the Chief Psychologist of the Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) and Head of the Applied Behavioural Sciences Department. His responsibilities included strategic planning, management and professional supervision to deliver a suite of behavioural science services (e.g., selection systems, organisation climate surveys, organisation development, psychological preparation for operations, research) to MINDEF and the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF). He initiated and presented numerous study reports on human resource issues to executive management in MINDEF/SAF, and conducted lectures and workshops on leadership, leadership development, team development, psychology and statistics.
Under MINDEF's scholarships, Dr. Soh Star obtained his B.Sc. (1st class honours) in Psychology from Manchester, U.K. and his M.A. and Ph.D. in Industrial-Organisational Psychology from the Ohio State University, U.S.A. He also has a Graduate Diploma in Personnel Management from the Singapore Institute of Management, Singapore.
Dr. Soh Star has publications in peer-reviewed academic journals and military journals, and frequently presented in conferences. In 2005, he was the chairman of the International Military Testing Association Conference. In 2011, he and his co-authors published a book on "Military Leadership in the 21st Century: Science and Practice". He is an ad hoc reviewer for Management and Organization Review and Cross-Cultural Management: An International Journal. He was awarded best reviewer 2013 for the latter journal. He is an international member of the American Psychological Association, Society for Industrial and Organisational Psychology, and Society for Military Psychology.
Dr. Soh Star has taught and teaches post-graduate (e.g., Structural Equation Modeling, Cross-Cultural Psychology, and Leadership) and undergraduate (e.g., Leadership and Organisation Behaviour) courses in NTU. He also speaks at seminars, conducts leadership development workshops and provides consultancy services to organisations.
- Cultural intelligence, cross-cultural adaptation and training
- Human Resource Management and Employee engagement
- Organisational socialisation
Superiors' socialisation and leadership behaviour on newcomers' internalisation of organisational values: A multi-level analysis.
Perceived attributes (Implicit leadership theories) of military and private sector leaders in Singapore.
Engaging a globalised workforce: Does culturally intelligent leaders make a difference?
Selected publications and papers
Soh, S. & Chan, K. Y. (2013, October). Outstanding military and private sector leaders in Singapore: Military officers and civilians’ perceptions. Paper presented at 55th International Military Testing Association Conference, Seoul, South Korea
Chan, K. Y., Soh, S. & Ramaya, R. (2011). Military Leadership in the 21st Century: Science and Practice. Singapore: Cengage Learning Asia.
Chan, K.Y. & Soh, S. (2010, October). Military leadership education in the Singapore Armed Forces: A social-behavioral science approach. Paper presented at the International Leadership Association Annual Conference, Boston, U.S.A.
Soh, S., Chan, K.Y., Li, Y. & Tay, L.P. (2010, September). Development and findings of the Military Implicit Leadership Theory Instrument. Paper presented at the 52nd International Military Testing Association Conference, Lucerne, Switzerland.
Soh, S. (2009, November). Transformational leadership: Whose perspective (leader or follower) matters and influences followers' confidence and commitment? Interactive roundtable session at the International Leadership Association Annual Conference, Prague, Czech Republic.
Soh, S. (2005, November). Psychological support for the SAF tsunami relief mission: An overview. Paper presented at the 47th International Military Testing Association Conference, Singapore.
Soh, S. (2004, October). Applications of psychology in HR and training in a conscript army. Paper presented at the 46th International Military Testing Association Conference, Brussels, Belgium.
Soh, S., & Chan, K. Y. (2002). Understanding the military experience in Singapore: An organisational psychology perspective. In A. Tan & L. Law (Eds.) Psychology in Contexts: A perspective from the South East Asian societies (pp. 9-31). Singapore: Lingzi Media.
Soh, S., & Leong, F. T. L. (2002). Validity of vertical and horizontal individualism and collectivism in Singapore: Relationships with values and interests. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 33, 3-15.
Soh, S. (2001, October). Validity and application of the Cross-Cultrual Adaptability Inventory for peacekeeping operations. Paper presented at the 43rd International Military Testing Association Conference, Canberra, U.K.
Soh, S., & Leong, F. T. L. (2001). Cross-cultural validation of Holland's Theory in Singapore: Beyond Structural Validity of RIASEC. Journal of Career Assessment, 9, 115-133.
|Research Grant |
- RCC (2009-) [by School Research Fund]
|Current Projects |
- Leadership Making: Effective Leadership Strategies and Behavior of New Managers/Leaders
- Soh, S. & Chan, K.Y. (2013, October). Outstanding military and private sector leaders in Singapore: Military officers and civilians’ perceptions. Paper presented at 55th International Military Testing Association Conference, Seoul, Korea.
- Chan, K. Y., & Soh, S. (2011). Military leadership in the 21st Century: A New Undergraduate Course & Textbook. 53rd Annual Conference of the International Military Testing Association.
- Soh, S., & Chan, K.Y. (2011). Perceived Attributes of Outstanding Military Leaders and Implications for HRM.. International Military Testing Association Conference.
- Chan, K.Y., Soh, S., & Ramaya, R. (2011). Military leadership in the 21st century: Science and practice. Cengage Learning.
- Chan, K.Y., & Soh, S. (2010, October). Military Leadership Education in the Singapore Armed Forces: A Social-Behavioral Science Approach.. Paper presented at International Leadership Association's 12th Annual Global Conference, Boston, MA.