|Assoc Prof Alexei Sourin |
Division of Visual & Interactive Computing
School of Computer Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4292
- PhD Moscow Engineering Physics Institute 1988
- MSc Moscow Engineering Physics Institute 1983
|Dr. Alexei Sourin was born in Moscow and received his M.Eng. and Ph.D. degrees in computer graphics from the Moscow Engineering Physics Institute, Russia (MEPhI) in 1983 and 1988, respectively. From 1983 to 1993 he was a researcher at MEPhI where he worked on different scientific visualization and computer animation projects. Since 1993 he held faculty positions at Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore, except a period from 1999 to 2000 when he was Associate Professor at Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT). Currently he is a tenured Associate Professor with the School of Computer Engineering at NTU. His research interests are in function-based shape modeling, shared virtual environments, haptic interaction, web visualization and visualization on the Grid, virtual surgery, scientific visualization, and cyber-learning. He is a co-founder of the function representation (FRep) concept which he further developed and applied in several shape modeling, interactive free-form shape modeling, medical visualization and virtual surgery training projects. He has also proposed and developed, together with his students, a function-based web-visualization technique where analytical formulas are used for defining geometry, appearance and physical properties of the objects in shared virtual scenes. Dr. Sourin published over 100 referred research papers and was invited to give talks to many scientific events. Dr. Sourin is also one of the pioneers of electronic education in Singapore. His book "Computer graphics. From a Small Formula to Cyberworlds" is adopted for teaching by several universities in South-East Asia. He is a recipient of many research awards. He is a Senior Member of IEEE and a member of ACM SIGGRAPH. He is on the Editorial Boards as well as a Guest Editor of several international journals. He was on the program committees of over 50 international conferences. He is a coordinator of the International Conferences on Cyberworlds for which he was a Program Chair in 2003-2005 and a General Chair in 2006, 2007 and 2010. He was a General Co-Chair of the 2009 Web3D Symposium.|
|Shape modeling, shared virtual environments, haptic interaction, web visualization and visualization on the Grid, virtual surgery, scientific visualization, and cyber-learning.|
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2011-)
|Current Projects |
- Collaborative Haptic Modelling for Orthopaedic Surgery Training in Cyberspace (Official no: MOE2011-T2-1-006)
- Visual and Haptic Rendering in Co-Space
- Wei L., Sourin A., Stocker H. (2009). Function-based haptic collaboration in X3D. Web3D 2009 (pp. 15-23).
- Wei L, Sourin A, Sourina O. (2008). Function-based visualization and haptic rendering in shared virtual spaces. The Visual Computer, 24(10), 871-880.
- K.Levinski, A.Sourin. (2007). Interactive Function Based Shape Modeling. Computers & Graphics, 31(1), 66-76.
- Qi Liu, A.Sourin. (2006). Function-defined Shape Metamorphoses in Visual Cyberworlds. The Visual Computer, 22(12), 977-990.
- A.Sourin. (2001). Functionally based virtual embossing. The Visual Computer, 17(4), 258-271.