|Associate Professor Sourav S Bhowmick is currently in the School of Computer Engineering since 2000. He is currently Visiting Associate Professor at the Biological Engineering Division, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA. He received his Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering from Visvesvaraya Regional College of Engineering (VRCE) in India, Master degree in Computing from Griffith University, Australia and Ph.D. degree in computer engineering from NTU. Sourav’s key research goal is to consistently undertake quality research that will enhance human needs and aspirations. His current research interests include tree and graph data management, HCI-aware data management, database usability, social media & web data management, data mining, and computation & systems biology. He has published more than 120 papers in major international database, data mining, and bioinformatics conferences and journals such as VLDB, IEEE ICDE, ACM WWW, ACM SIGMOD, ACM SIGKDD, ACM MM, ACM CIKM, ACM BCB, ACM SIGHIT, IEEE TKDE, ACM CS, Information Systems, and DKE. The common thread running through his research is a focus on going beyond papers to build usable novel data management and mining systems and prototypes. |
Sourav's key research contributions are summarized as follows. (a) His research team is the first to undertake a systematic study on mining structural evolution of tree-structured data. This work received "Best Interdisciplinary Paper Award" in ACM CIKM 2004. Subsequently, they proposed solutions to a series of novel problems related to mining evolution of tree and graph structured data. Some of these works were published in ACM WWW 2006 and 2007, ACM SIGKDD 2006, ACM CIKM 2005, 2008, VLDB 2009, ICDE 2011. (b) His team is the first to propose a novel query processing paradigm that blends visual query formulation and query processing to turbo-charge system response time by exploiting the latency offered by visual interfaces. This paradigm was realized on top of XML and graph databases resulting in two novel data management systems called XBLEND and GBLENDER, respectively. The results of this work were published in ICDE 2006, DASFAA 2007, ICDE 2009, SIGMOD 2010, SIGMOD 2011. (c)Sourav and his collaborators recently proposed novel techniques to improve usability of XML database systems. This resulted in world's first shape-polymorphic XML data transformation language called XMORPH. The results of this work were published in ICDE 2010, VLDB 2010. (d) His team is the first to propose an effective and novel system called FUSE that generates high quality functional summaries of protein interaction networks to improve their understanding. This work received Best Paper Award in ACM BCB 2011.
Sourav is serving as a PC member of various data management and mining conferences and workshops and reviewer for various data management journals. He has served as a program chair/co-chair of several international conferences and workshops. He is a member of the editorial boards of several international journals. Sourav has been tutorial speaker in several international conferences such as ER 2006, APWeb 2008, WAIM 2008, PAKDD 2009 and 2011, and DASFAA 2011.His Ph.D. thesis was published as a book entitled "Web Data Management: A Warehouse Approach" (Springers Verlag, October 2003). Sourav is a member of ACM and an affiliate member of IEEE.
|Associate Prof Sourav S Bhowmick's areas of expertise are database technology and data mining. His current research works focus on social media mining, tree and graph structured data mining, database usability, graph query processing, and system biology data management focusing on predictive modeling and comparison of molecular networks, and multi-target drug therapy.|
- Advanced Image Informatics Tools
- Advanced image informatics inter-university research project
- Correlation Discovery in Graph Databases and Its Applications
- PET-DEVICE++ (Push-pull Extraction Tool for Distributed Audio Visual Content Terminal)
- Huey-Eng Chua, Sourav S Bhowmick, Lisa Tucker-Kellogg, Qing Zhao, C F Dewey, Jr, Hanry Yu. (2012). In Silico Identification of Endo16 Regulators in the Sea Urchin Endomesoderm Gene Regulatory Network. 2nd ACM SIGHIT International Health Informatics Symposium (IHI 2012).
- Hui Li, Sourav S Bhowmick, Aixin Sun. (2011). CASINO: Towards Conformity-aware Social Influence Analysis. The 20th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2011).
- Boon-Siew Seah, Sourav S Bhowmick, C F Dewey, Jr, Hanry Yu. (2011). Efficient Evaluation of NOT-Twig Queries in Tree-Unaware Relational Databases: FUSE: Towards Multi-Level Functional Summarization of Protein Interaction Networks. 2nd ACM Conference on Bioinformatics, Computational Biology and Biomedicine (BCB 2011)Chicago, USA: ACM Press.
- Aixin Sun, Sourav S. Bhowmick. (2010). Quantifying Tag Representativeness of Visual Content of Social Images. ACM Multimedia.
- Changjiu Jin, Sourav S. Bhowmick, Xiaokui Xiao, James Cheng, and Byron Choi. (2010). Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD): GBLENDER: Towards Blending Visual Query Formulation and Query Processing in Graph Databases.