|Asst Prof Chang Kuiyu|
Division of Software & Information Systems
School of Computer Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4293
- PhD University of Texas at Austin 2000
- MS(Engg) University of Hawaii at Manoa 1994
- BS(Engg) National Taiwan University 1992
|A technologist & entrepreneur who dabbles in both practical (programming) and fundamentals (theory).|
Dr. Kuiyu Chang was educated in Singapore and Macau during his formative years, followed by college education in Taiwan (Bachelor's), and graduate studies in Hawaii (Master's) and Texas (Ph.D.). This early exposure to a mixture of Eastern and Western values allows him to act as a natural bridge between the two cultures. For example, he can write/type/speak with native fluency in both English and Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese). After graduation in 2000, Dr. Chang joined a Texas software startup, which was later acquired by Interwoven (now HP) for US$70 million. This hands-on experience strongly influenced his pragmatic approach to R&D management. Dr. Chang is also a strong advocate of open-source software (Linux, openoffice, etc.), and regularly consults for companies in Singapore, Malaysia, and China on the deployment of end-to-end open-source software solutions. Dr. Chang founded Mosuma, Inc. (US) in 2001, and still serves as its Technical Advisor to this day. Dr. Chang has published over 50 papers, including in top tier conferences/journals like SIGIR, IJCAI, ICDE, ICDM, SDM, and IEEE Transactions on PAMI and TKDE. Dr. Chang is the winner of three international best paper awards (Motorola 1996, ISI 2005, PAKDD 2012) and one merit paper award (ICICWS 2012). He has also appeared on Singapore TV and press.
|Sentiment Analysis (Chinese and English), Chinese Natural Language Processing, Social Networks, Statistical Pattern Recognition, Bioinformatics|
|Research Grant |
- A*STAR Science and Engineering Research Council - Thematic Strategic Research Programme in Future Data Centre Technologies (2011-)
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2010-)
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2012-)
- NTU Internal Funding - New Initiative Funding (2011-)
|Current Projects |
- Data Mining Econometrics
- ESP (Extra Sentiment Profiler): Profiling User Thoughts and Sentiments via Microblogs
- Economics of Mating Algorithms
- Large Scale Hybrid Storage System
- Pricing Financial Instruments by Combining Time Series Segmentation with Sentiment Analysis of Market News
- Project Rendezvous: Where Entertainment and Instrumentality meet
- ROSE (Reputable Opinion Social Environment) via Connectors, Mavens, and Salesmen
- Z. Hai, K. Chang, J.-J. Kim, C. Yang. (2013). Identifying Features in Opinion Mining via Intrinsic and Extrinsic Domain Relevance. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, , in press.
- G. Li, K. Chang, S. C. H. Hoi. (2012). Multi-view Semi-supervised Learning with Consensus. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 24(11), 2040-2051.
- Z. Hai, K. Chang, G. Cong. (2012). One seed to find them all: Mining Opinion Features via Association. CIKM (ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management) (pp. 724-733)Maui, Hawaii, U.S.A.
- T. T. Nguyen, K. Chang, S.-C. Hui. (2011). Distribution-Aware Online Classifiers. IJCAI (International Joint Conferences on Artificial Intelligence).
- Q. He, K. Chang, E.-P. Lim, A. Banerjee. (2010). Keep It Simple with Time: A Re-examination of Probabilistic Topic Detection Models. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 32(10), 1781-1794.