|Prof Chew Soon Beng |
Division of Economics
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
- PhD University of Western Ontario 1979
- MSocSci University of Singapore 1974
- BCom(Hons) Nanyang University 1972
|Professor Chew Soon Beng is Professor of Economics and Industrial Relations at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He received his Ph. D. from the University of Western Ontario, Canada. He is author of Small Firms in Singapore (Oxford University Press), Trade Unionism in Singapore (McGraw Hill), Employment-Driven Industrial Relations Regimes (Avebury), Values and Lifestyles of Young Singaporeans (Prentice-Hall), and Foreign Enterprises in China: Operation and Management (in Chinese). . He has also published in journals such as the Singapore Economic Review, the China Economic Review, Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies, and the Journal of Advances in Pacific Basin Business Economic and Finance. His current research interests include trade unionism, labour markets analysis, globalization and entrepreneurship.|
Awards received include:
Honorary Professorship, Institute of Legislation ?Khalkh Juram?, Mongolia 2001;
Academic World Star, International Academy of the Authorized Education,1997;
Honorary Professorship, Moscow External University of the Humanities,1997;
Honorary Professorship,Liaoning Administrative College, China,1997;
Visiting Professorship,North East University of Finance and Economics, China,1997;
National Book Prize, 1996
Independent Director of Listed Company
Member of Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
He conducts executive programmes in his research areas of Macro-Focused Trade Unionism and Competition, Sustainable Social Security Schemes and An Economic Approach to Attracting Foreign Investment..
Academic activities include Founding Director of Asia Commerce and Economics Studies (ACES) in Nanyang Business School from 1992 to 2002 and Founding Director of Master of Science in Managerial Economics.
|Wages, wage systems and wage determination in Singapore
Industrial relations in Singapore and other countries
|Research Grant |
- CoHASS Incentive Scheme (2012-)
- RCC (2005-)
|Current Projects |
- Quantifying and Analysing the Non-Collective Bargaining Benefits of Labour Unions
- Chew Soon Beng. (2012). Employment-based Social Protection in Singapore: Issues and Prospects. ASEAN Economic Bulletin, 29(3), 218-229.
- Chew Soon Beng, Rosalind Chew. (2012). An Analysis of Income Inequality, Social Security, and Competitiveness: An Essay on Dr Goh Keng Swee’s Contributions to Singapore’s Economic Strategy. Singapore Economic Review, 57(1), . 1250002-1-17.
- Linda Tan and Chew Soon Beng. (2011). Healthcare: Containing Costs without Compromising Quality,Crisis Management and Public Policy: Singapore’s Approach to Economic Resilience. (pp. 81-107)..
- Rosalind Chew, Chew Soon Beng. (2011). From Adversarial Collective Bargaining To Strategic Collective Bargaining: The Case of a Small-Open Economy. Bulletin of Comparative Labour Relations, , 59-68.
- Chew Soon Beng and Rosalind Chew. (2011). The Current Productivity Drive in Singapore: Challenges for Labour Market PoliciesChallenges for the Singapore Economy after the Global Financial Crisis. (pp. 93-108)..