|Assoc Prof Tan Ah Hwee|
Head, Division of Software & Information Systems
Division of Software & Information Systems
School of Computer Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4326
- PhD Boston University 1994
- MSc National University of Singapore 1991
- BSc(Hons) National University of Singapore 1989
|Ah-Hwee Tan is an Associate Professor and the Division Head of Information Systems at the School of Computer Engineering (SCE), Nanyang Technological University. He has been a faculty member of SCE since 2003 and was the founding Director of Emerging Research Laboratory, a research center for incubating new interdisciplinary research initiatives. Prior to joining NTU, he was a Research Manager at the A*STAR Institute for Infocomm Research (I2R), spearheading the Text Mining and Intelligent Agents research programmes. His current research interests include intelligent agents, cognitive and neural systems, machine learning, knowledge discovery and text mining.
Prof. Tan received a Ph.D. in Cognitive and Neural Systems from Boston University, a Bachelor of Science (First Class Honors) (1989) and a Master of Science (1991) in Computer and Information Science from the National University of Singapore . He is a recipient of Lim Soo Peng Book Prize, Asia Life Gold Medal, Cambridge Scholarship, Tan Kah Kee Young Inventor Award (Silver), NUS Overseas Graduates Scholarship, KRDL High Achiever Award, Optimal 2003 Gold Award, and Tan Chin Tuan Fellowship. He is an Editorial Board Member of Applied Intelligence published by Springer-Verlag, a Member of ACM, and a Senior Member of IEEE.
|Prof Tan's research areas include intelligent agents, cognitive and neural systems, machine learning, knowledge discovery and text mining.
His current projects focus on agent-augmented virtual environment (supported by Singapore National Research Foundation), media fusion and analysis (with A*Star Institute for Infocomm Technology), biologically-inspired integrated cognitive architectures (with DSO National Laboratories) and cognitive information systems for situatio awareness modelling and context-aware decision support (with ST Engineering).
|Research Grant |
- Defence Science Organisation National Laboratories (2012-)
- IDM R&D Programme (2008-2012)
|Current Projects |
- A Co-Evolution Theory for Episodic and Semantic Memory
- Agent-augmented co-space: Growing cognitive autonomous agents for context-aware personalized experience in co-space
- Computational Modelling of Human Multi-Memory Systems and Learning
- Constrained Flocking Animation & Modeling Research
- Intelligent Agent-Augmented Multi-User Virtual Environments: Research into Designs for Learning Environments of the Future
- Next Generation Annotation Techniques for Consumer Photos and Videos
- X. Jiang and A.-H. Tan. (2009). Learning and Inferencing in User Ontology for Personalized Semantic Web Search. Information Sciences, .
- Tao Jiang and Ah-Hwee Tan. (2009). Learning Image-Text Associations. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 21(2), 161-177.
- Yu-Hong Feng, Teck-Hou Teng and Ah-Hwee Tan. (2009). Modelling Situation Awareness for Context-aware Decision Support -. Expert Systems With Applications, 36(1), 455-463.
- A.H.Tan, N. Lu*, D. Xiao*. (2008). Integrating Temporal Difference Methods and Self-Organizing Neural Networks for Reinforcement Learning with Delayed Evaluative Feedback. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, , 230-244.
- D. Xiao, A.-H. Tan. (2007). Self-Organizing Neural Architectures and Cooperative Learning in Multi-Agent Environment. IEEE Transactions on Systems Man and Cybernetics Part B-Cybernetics, 37(6), 1567-1580.