|Assoc Prof Russell Arthur Smith |
Division of Marketing and International Business
College of Business (Nanyang Business School)
Phone: (+65)6790 4836
- DrDes Harvard University 1990
- MArch University of Queensland 1979
- BArch(Hons) University of Queensland 1976
|Dr. Smith is a tourism and hospitality development expert who has extensive academic and professional experience in Asia, as well as North America and the Middle East. He is an associate professor at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore, where for six years he was vice and interim dean of the Cornell-Nanyang Institute of Hospitality Management. Dr. Smith has headed large multi-disciplinary teams for the preparation of major hospitality and tourism development plans. In addition, he has served on many private and public boards and committees throughout the Asia Pacific as well as held appointments in universities in Australia, France, Malaysia, Singapore and the United States of America. His recently published book addresses the leadership challenges of the Asian hospitality sector. He holds a doctorate from Harvard University and a bachelor’s degree with first class honors from the University of Queensland. Currently he is undertaking sabbatical as visiting professor with the hospitality program at ESSEC Business School, Paris, retuning to NTU in mid-2012.|
|• Sustainable development and management in the services sector |
• Corporate Social Responsibility
• Focus on hospitality and tourism in Asia
• Internationally recognized expert on coastal tourism development and management
- Ong LTJ, Smith RA. (2014). Perception and reality of managing sustainable coastal tourism in emerging destinations: the case of Sihanoukville, Cambodia. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, accepted.
- Smith, R.A., Henderson, J.C., Chong, V., Tay, C. and Yeo, J. (2011). The Development and Management of Beach Resorts: Boracay Island, The Philippines. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 16(2), 229-246.
- Russell Arthur Smith and Judy Siguaw. (2010). Strategic Hospitality Leadership: The Asian Initiative. John Wiley & Sons.
- Russell Arthur Smith. (2010). Achieving Successful Development PlanningStrategic Hospitality Leadership: the Asian Initiative. (pp. 19-38)..
- Joan Henderson and Russell Arthur Smith. (2009). Informal Tourism Commerce at Beach Resorts: A Comparison of Cha-Am and Laguna Phuket in Thailand. Tourism Recreation Research, 34(1), 13-22.