|Academic Profile |
| || |
Dr Leong Ping, Alvin
- PhD National University of Singapore 2001
- MA (Eng Lang) National University of Singapore 1997
- BA (Hons) National University of Singapore 1992
- BA (Econ, Eng Lang) National University of Singapore 1991
|Alvin has been teaching at the Language & Communication Centre since 2009. He previously taught at the National University of Singapore (1999-2001) and the National Institute of Education (2001-2008). He has research interests in systemic functional grammar/linguistics, discourse analysis, and literacy studies.|
Alvin was the recipient of a PhD research scholarship from NUS (1997-1999), and two commendation awards from NIE (2005, 2008) for excellence in teaching.
|Systemic functional linguistic/grammar (particular theme and rheme), discourse analysis, literacy studies|
- Leong Ping Alvin. (2015). Topical themes and thematic progression: The "picture" of research articles. Text & Talk, 35(3), 289-315.
- Song Siew Kee Geraldine, Lee Hwee Hoon & Leong Ping Alvin. (2015, January). From draft to final paper: Student response to tutor feedback. Paper presented at 13th Hawai’i International Conference on Education, Honolulu, Hawai'i.
- Leong Ping Alvin. (2014). The passive voice in scientific writing. The current norm in science journals. Journal of Science Communication, 13(1), A03.
- Ng, A.C.C., Chan, SK., Chin, SF., Li, SY. &. Leong, P.A. (2013). Resume writing in the real world -- Do business communication textbooks really give good advice?. Asian ESP Journal, 9(3), 73-97.
- Leong Ping Alvin. (2013). Thinking critically: A look at students' critiques of a research article. Higher Education Research and Development, 32(4), 575-589.
« Back to Category Write-up