|Prof Tan Hun Tong |
Division of Accounting
College of Business (Nanyang Business School)
Phone: (+65)6790 4819
- PhD University of Michigan 1992
- MA University of Michigan 1992
- BAcc(Hons) National University of Singapore 1985
|Professor Tan Hun Tong is the United Overseas Bank Chair and Professor of Accounting. His research interest focuses on understanding the judgment and decision making processes of preparers, users, and financial intermediaries of accounting information, and how institutional and environmental features influence such judgments and decisions. His work is characterized by the use of psychological theories and experimentation to gain insights into fundamental accounting issues. |
He is currently editor of Accounting, Organizations and Society, and was former Associate Editor of Contemporary Accounting Research and Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory. He has served on various AAA committees, including the AAA Council, the AAA’s Notable Contributions to Accounting Literature Award Screening Committee, Auditing Section’s Research Committee, Research Advisory Committee, and the Notable Contribution to Auditing Literature Committee.
Hun-Tong has published in leading accounting journals such as The Accounting Review, Journal of Accounting Research, Contemporary Accounting Research, Accounting, Organizations and Society, and Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, as well as major psychology journals such as Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes and Journal of Behavioral Decision Making. He serves on the editorial boards of The Accounting Review,Behavioral Research in Accounting, Contemporary Accounting Research, European Accounting Review, International Journal of Accounting, and Journal of Behavioral Decision Making.
|Determinants of auditor performance
Management guidance and disclosure
Investor decision making
- Kelly, K,. B. Low, H.T. Tan, and S.K. Tan. (2012). Investors’ Reliance on Analysts’ Stock Recommendations and Mitigating Mechanisms for Potential Overreliance. Contemporary Accounting Research, 29(3), 991-1012.
- K. Y. Low and H. T. Tan. (2011). Does Time Constraint Lead to Poorer Audit Performance? Effects of Forewarning of Impending Time Constraints and Instructions.. Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, 30(4), 173-190.
- H. Fu. H. T. Tan, and J. Zhang. (2011). Effect of Auditor Negotiation Experience and Client Negotiating Style on Auditors' Judgments in an Auditor-Client Negotiation Context. Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, 30(3), 225-237.
- Han, J., K. Jamal, and H. T. Tan. (2011). Auditors’ overconfidence in predicting the technical knowledge of superiors and subordinates.. Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, 30(1), 101-119.
- Tan, H. T, and K. Trotman. (2010). Effects of the Timing of Auditors’ Income-Reducing Adjustment Concessions on Financial Officers’ Negotiation Judgments. Contemporary Accounting Research, 27(4), 1207-1239.