|Dr. Zhou is currently an Assistant Professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE), and Deputy Director of Advanced Environmental Biotechnology Center (AEBC) under Nanyang Environment and Water Research Institute (NEWRI). She received her PhD degree in Chemical Engineering, from Advanced Water Management Centre (AWMC), University of Queensland in 2008, and joined AEBC as a Research Fellow. Since she joined CEE in Sep 2014, her research efforts have been focused on energy efficient water treatment and reclamation, and resources recovery from sludge and waste. Specifically, her research interests are (1) Energy harvesting from municipal and industrial wastewater, (2) Energy reduction in nutrient removal process, (3) Sludge management and energy recovery, (4) Nutrient recovery and reuse. |
Dr. Zhou serves as an Editorial Board Member for Water and Environment Journal, and Associate Editor for Water Research. She is a member of Management Committee (MC) of IWA Sludge Management SG. She has published more than 90 SCI tracked journal papers with H-index of 22 @ Web of Science (Dec 2018), and over 30 conference contributions. She has filed 9 patents, of which 4 are granted to date. One patent has been acquired by an overseas company in a collaboration project. Dr. Zhou works closely with industries and has strong collaboration with local and international companies and universities. She has designed multiple pilot-scale and full-scale engineering systems for water and sludge treatment. She is a recipient of IES Prestigious Engineering Achievement Awards.
- Sun F.Q., Wu D., Chua FJD, Zhu W.Y., Zhou Y. (2019). Free nitrous acid (FNA) induced transformation of sulfamethoxazole in the enriched nitrifying culture. Water Research, 149, 432-439.
- Qian T.T., Yang Q., Chua F.J.D., Dong F., Zhou Y. (2019). Transformation of phosphorus in sewage sludge biochar mediated by a phosphate-solubilizing microorganism. Chemical Engineering Journal, 359, 1573 - 158.
- Yan W.W., Sun F. Q., Liu, J.B., Zhou Y. (2018). Enhanced anaerobic phenol degradation by conductive materials via EPS and microbial community alteration. Chemical Engineering Journal, 352, 1-9.
- Lu D., Xiao K.K., Chen Y., Soh Y.N.A., Zhou Y. (2018). Transformation of dissolved organic matters produced from alkaline-ultrasonic sludge pretreatment in anaerobic digestion: From macro to micro. Water Research, 142, 138-146.
- Faqian Sun, Keke Xiao, Wenyu Zhu, N Withanage, Yan Zhou. (2018). Enhanced sludge solubilization and dewaterability by synergistic effects of nitrite and freezing. Water Research, 130, 208-214.