|Academic Profile |
| || |
Asst Prof Tan Rui
Assistant Professor, School of Computer Science and Engineering
|Rui Tan received B.S.(2004) and M.S.(2007) in automation from Shanghai Jiao Tong University, and Ph.D.(2010) in computer science from City University of Hong Kong, respectively. From 2010 to 2012, he worked as a postdoctoral Research Associate at Michigan State University. From 2012 to 2015, he worked as a Research Scientist and then a Senior Research Scientist at Advanced Digital Sciences Center, a Singapore-based research center of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He is currently an Assistant Professor at Nanyang Technological University.|
He has received multiple research awards including Best Paper Award from ACM/IEEE IPSN 2017, CPSR-SG 2017, Distinguished TPC Member of INFOCOM 2017, Best Paper Award Runner-Ups from ACM/IEEE IPSN 2014 and IEEE PerCom 2013, as well as Outstanding Academic Performance Award from City University of Hong Kong in 2009. He is now an IEEE Senior Member.
|I am interested in understanding how the physical ambients affect the cyber systems (e.g., sensor networks, wearables, data centers, etc) and exploiting certain properties of the physical ambients to improve the performance and resilience of the cyber systems. My ongoing research topics include:|
- Resilient CPS/IoT system functions (e.g., timing, synchronization, location, etc)
- Low-power wide area networks
- Thermal and energy control in data centers
- Deep learning for sensing
- Practical Touch-Based Access Control for Indoor IoT Objects
- Resilient Cyber-Physical Systems by Advanced Sensing and Computing
- Tropical Data Centre Proof-of -Concept
- Linshan Jiang, Rui Tan, Xin Lou, Guosheng Lin. (2019). The 4th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things Design and Implementation (IoTDI): On Lightweight Privacy-Preserving Collaborative Learning for Internet-of-Things Objects.Montreal, Canada.
- Yang Li, Rui Tan, David Yau. (2019). The 16th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN): Natural Timestamping Using Powerline Electromagnetic Radiation. IPSNPittsburgh, PA, USA.
- Song, Qun and Gu, Chaojie and Tan, Rui. (2018). Deep Room Recognition Using Inaudible Echos. Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies, 2(3).
- Zhenyu Yan, Yang Li, Rui Tan, Jun Huang. (2017). The 15th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys): Application-Layer Clock Synchronization for Wearables Using Skin Electric Potentials Induced by Powerline Radiation.Delft, The Netherlands.
- Sreejaya Viswanathan, Rui Tan, David Yau. (2016). The 37th IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium (RTSS): Exploiting Power Grid for Accurate and Secure Clock Synchronization in Industrial IoT.Porto Portugal.
« Back to Category Write-up