|Academic Profile |
| || |
Asst Prof Cheung Sai Hung
Assistant Professor, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
|Dr. Cheung Sai Hung obtained his PhD in Civil Engineering from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) with a GPA of 4.1 (A+) in 2009. He got his Bachelor degree with First-class honors in Civil and Structural Engineering with a Minor in Mathematics and his Master degree in Civil Engineering from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). He was one of the students (of the order of 12) among all Hong Kong students, who was able to obtain straight A’s in all subjects of the Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (HKALE) in 1998, the open exam for admission to the Hong Kong Universities. During the period of March 2009- August 2010, he was a postdoctoral fellow at the Institute of Computational Engineering and Sciences (ICES) at the University of Texas at Austin (UT Austin) where he was involved in a multidisciplinary research project funded by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) with focus to the problem of a NASA space vehicle entry into an atmosphere. Besides Caltech, UT Austin and HKUST, he has also established collaborations with researchers in the University of Notre Dame, Sandia National Laboratories (USA) and KAUST (Saudi Arabia).|
|-Catastrophe risk modeling, analysis, mitigation and management due to natural disasters and man-made hazards
-Reliability, Risk engineering and science
-Earthquake engineering, Performance-based engineering
-Sustainable urban planning and development
-Climate Change Impact Studies
-Optimal decision making, design and control under uncertainty
-Uncertainty quantification, System identification
-Structural health monitoring
- Future Resilient Systems
- Nanyang Education Awards 2015
- Novel methodology for managing resilience of complex urban water supply systems
- Novel stochastic multi-objective optimal design methodology under uncertainty for urban storm drainage systems in a complex changing environment
- Structural Performance of HDB Buildings
- Katafygiotis, L.S., Cheung, S.H., and Yuen, K.V. (2010). Spherical Subset Simulation (S3) for solving nonlinear dynamical reliability problems. International Journal of Reliability and Safety, 4(2-3), 122-138.
- Cheung, S.H. and Beck, J.L. (2010). Calculation of posterior probabilities for Bayesian model class assessment and averaging from posterior samples based on dynamic system data. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, 25(5), 304-321.
- Cheung, S.H. and Beck, J.L. (2009). Bayesian model updating using Hybrid Monte Carlo simulation with application to structural dynamic models with many uncertain parameters. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 135(4), 243-255.
- Cheung, S.H. and Beck, J.L. (2008). Inaugural International Conference of the Engineering Mechanics Institute (EM08): Near real-time loss estimation of structures subjected to strong seismic excitation.
- Katafygiotis, L.S., Cheung, S.H. (2007). Application of Spherical Subset Simulation method and Auxiliary Domain Method on a benchmark reliability study. Structural Safety, 29(3), 194-207.
« Back to Category Write-up