|Dr Alam is the Programme Director of AI & Data Analytics at the Air Traffic Management Research Institute and an Associate Professor at the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University. He obtained PhD in Computer Sc. (2008) specializing in Artificial Intelligence from University of New South Wales (UNSW), Australia and M.Tech. in Computer Sc. (1999) from BIT, Mesra, India. His post-doctoral research, on developing Artificial Intelligence algorithms for future air traffic concept evaluation, was sponsored by EUROCONTROL (2009-2010) and Air Services Australia (2010-2011). |
In 2011, Dr Alam was appointed University Lecturer at UNSW, Canberra in Australia and was promoted to University Senior Lecturer in 2015. He has also been a visiting scientist at NASA Ames, California (2011) and at École Nationale de l'Aviation Civile (French Civil Aviation University) in Toulouse (2016-2017). He has also worked with CAA Bahrain as Senior Air Traffic Analyst (2002-2005).
His research interest are in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning algorithms applied to Air Traffic Management and Airport Operations. His expertise are in airspace collision risk, conflict detection and resolution, aviation emission, air traffic sequencing and scheduling. He has over 80 peer-reviewed research publications in journals and conferences. Dr. Alam also holds pilot licence from Civil Aviation Safety Authority, Australia. Dr. Alam is also one of the founding member of IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Canberra chapter and served as its activity chair (2015-2016). He has successfully supervised/co-supervised 5 PhDs to completion at UNSW Australia.
His research has won several competitive awards which includes:
ANU Science Medal, Australian National University, 2011
Young Tall Poppy ACT Scientist of the Year Award, Australian Institute of Policy and Science, 2011
Fresh Scientist Award, Science in Public, Australia, 2009.
Best Paper Award, 8th International Conference on Research in Air Transportation, Barcelona, Spain, 2018
Best Paper Award, 11th US-Europe ATM R&D Seminar, Lisbon, Portugal, 2015
Best Paper Award, 6th International Conference on Research in Air Transportation, Istanbul, Turkey 2014
Best Paper Award, 9th US-Europe ATM R&D Seminar, Berlin, Germany, 2011
Best Paper Award, 29th IEEE/AIAA Digital Avionics Systems Conference, Salt Lake City, USA 2010.
He has been CI/Co-CI on several research projects for the CAAS, Singapore, International Civil Aviation organization (ICAO), Air Services Australia, Eurocontrol and Civil Aviation Authority, Bahrain. He is also the Managing Guest Editor for special issue on Artificial Intelligence in air traffic management for Transport Research Part-C, and invited reviewer for Safety Science, ACM Intelligent Systems, IEEE Trans. on Intelligent Transport Systems, European Journal of Operations Research, Applied Soft Computing, IEEE Trans on Evolutionary Computation.
Dr. Alam was also an organizing co-chair for the 28th Australasian Joint conference on Artificial Intelligence, Canberra, Australia 2016 and conference session chair/member PC for the:
IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, Brisbane, Australia, 2013
29th IEEE Digital Avionics Systems Conference, Utah, USA, 2010,
Ph.D. Symposium, Australian Conference on Artificial Life, Sydney, Australia, 2005 .
7th International Conference on Research in Air Transport, ICRAT-2018, Barcelona, Spain, 2018
22nd Australasian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Brisbane Australia 2009 ,
1st IEEE Symposium on Artificial Life, Hawaii, USA 2007.
International Conference on Neural Information Processing, Shanghai, China, 2011,
He is the author of the book Air Traffic Simulation and Modelling, published by VDM Verlag, Saarbrucken, Germany, 2009 and co‐editor of the book “Multi‐objective Optimization in Computational Intelligence: Theory and Practice”, IGI New Jersey 2010
- Ngoc Phu Tran, Duc-Thinh Pham, Sim Kuan Goh, Sameer Alam, Vu Duong. (2019). AIAA/IEEE Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC): Multi-aircraft Cooperative Conflict Resolution by Multi-agent Reinforcement Learning. AIAA/IEEE Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC)IEEE.
- Sim Kuan Goh, Ngoc Phu Tran, Duc-Thinh Pham, Sameer Alam,Kurtulus Izzetoglu, and Vu Duong. (2019). International Conference on. Human-Computer Interaction: Construction of Air Traffic Controller’s Decision Network Using Error-related Potential. International Conference on. Human-Computer InteractionSpringer.
- Duc-Thinh Pham, Ngoc Phu Tran, Sameer Alam, Vu Duong, Daniel Delahaye. (2019). A Machine Learning Approach for Conflict Resolution in Dense Traffic Scenarios with Uncertainties. Thirteenth USA/Europe Air Traffic Management Research and Development Seminar (ATM2019).
- Ngoc Phu Tran, Duc-Thinh Pham, Sim Kuan Goh, Sameer Alam, Vu Duong. (2019). Integrated Communications, Navigation, Surveillance Conference (ICNS): An Intelligent Interactive Conflict Solver Incorporating Air Traffic Controllers' Preferences Using Reinforcement Learning. Integrated Communications Navigation and Surveillance (ICNS) ConferenceIEEE.
- Duc-Thinh Pham, Minh-Man Ngo, Ngoc Phu Tran, Sameer Alam, Vu Duong. (2019). Integrated Communications, Navigation, Surveillance Conference (ICNS): Conflict Prediction Using Generative Model from ADS-B Data. Integrated Communications Navigation and Surveillance (ICNS) ConferenceIEEE.