|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Charles Thomas Salmon
Chair, Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information
Professor, Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information
Phone: +65 67904572
Office: WKWSCI 04 46
|Prof Charles Salmon is Chair of the Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information, with research interests in health communication, public opinion, and communication campaigns.
Prior to joining the faculty at NTU, Prof Salmon was Dean of the College of Communication Arts and Sciences at Michigan State University, where he also held the Ellis N. Brandt Endowed Chair and served as founding Director of the M.A. Program in Health Communication. He was also Associate Professor and Co-Director of the Center for Health and Risk Communication in the Emory University School of Public Health, and Associate Professor and Head of the Public Relations Sequence in the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Journalism and Mass Communication.
His work has been published in top academic journals such as Archives of Internal Medicine, American Behavioral Scientist, Bioethics, Communication Research, Health Education and Behavior, International Journal of Public Opinion Research, Journal of Communication, Journal of Health Communication, Public Health Reports, and Public Opinion Quarterly.
His books include Information Campaigns: Balancing Social Values and Social Change; Public Opinion and the Communication of Consent (with Theodore Glasser); The Spiral of Silence: New Perspectives on Communication and Public Opinion (with Wolfgang Donsbach and Yariv Tsfati) and Communication Yearbook 34, 35 and 36.
Among his honors and awards are:
* Rockefeller Scholar in Residence at Bellagio, Italy
* Outstanding Scholar in Health Communication, by the International and National Communication Associations
* Pathfinder Award for Outstanding Research, by the Institute for Public Relations Research and Education
* Fulbright Fellow, Tel Aviv University, Israel
* Visiting Scientist at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta
|His current research focuses on health communication, public opinion and communication campaigns, with particular emphasis on:
* unintended consequences of well-intentioned efforts to promote public health and safety
* the use of stigma in communication efforts to warn populations about disease
* the role of public will in mobilizing support for health and environmental causes
- Baseline study to gather information about pregnancy related knowledge and risk perceptions among potential mothers in Bangladesh
- How to nudge people's risk preference? - Extending the general evaluability theory to risk communication.
- M02 Funding for Research Staff
- Monetary Academic Resources for Research
- PONdER: Public Opinion of Nuclear Energy
- School Enhancement
- WKWSCI – Cat8 EOM (M06 Funding)
- WKWSCI – Cat8 EOM (M06 Funding)
- mHealth For Marginalized Populations
- Wu, S., Tandoc, E., & Salmon, C. (2019). When journalism and automation intersect: Assessing the influence of the technological field on contemporary newsrooms. Journalism Practice, .
- Wu, S., Tandoc, E., & Salmon, C. (2018). Journalism reconfigured: Assessing human-machine relations and the autonomous power of automation in news production. Journalism Studies. Journalism Studies, , 1-18.
- Jingyuan Shi, Charles T Salmon. (2018). Identifying opinion leaders to promote organ donation on social media: network study. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 20(1), e7.
- CT Salmon.(2017). Spiral of Silence: Origins, Process, and Dynamics. The International Encyclopedia of Media EffectsJohn Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Shi, J, Poorisat, T., & Salmon, C. T. (accepted for publication). (2017). The use of social networking sites (SNSs) in health communication campaigns: A review and recommendations. Health Communication, .