|Academic Profile |
| || |
Asst Prof Ross Adrian Williams
Assistant Professor, School of Art, Design and Media
|Before coming to NTU Ross Williams was the senior lead instructor in audio production and post-production in the Digital Film and Interactive Media Departments at the Art Institute of New York City. He completed his Masters and Doctorate in Musical Arts at Rice University in Houston, Texas. An Australian born sound designer and composer, Ross has composed and sound designed for theatre, museum installation and award winning independent feature and short films, as well as numerous concert works.|
|Implementation of audio stimuli to improve effectiveness of Robotic Motor Training to enhance Motor Control in Hemiplegia.|
A collaboration with Dr Dylan Edwards, the Director of the Non-Invasive Brain Stimulation and Human Motor Control Laboratory at the Burke Research Institute/ Cornell Medical School in New York. We are investigating the use of sound/music stimuli to improve the outcomes of stroke patients undergoing robotic motor training.
Aesthetics of sound design for fiction narrative, experimental and documentary film. Primarily practise based with a focus on multichannel implementation for desired aesthetic outcomes.
Spatialized sonification of Volcano infrasound: A collaboration (Tier 1) with Asst Prof. Benoit Tainse at the Asian School of the Environment (NTU)
Soundscapes as Cultural Heritage: Particularly urban soundscapes and assessing their potential cultural heritage value.
Sound, Memory and Image. Specifically does sound off screen sound evoke remembered visual images when experiencing film in 2d and VR.
- Age of Unreason (Working): Interactive Multimedia Work for Live String Quintet, Abstract Documentary Film Images and Medical Purposed Sound Design
- Tangible/Intangible: Exploring the possibilities of capturing multi-sensory impressions to create immersive Virtual Reality environments, exemplified with the forking path structure of the Yunnan Garden at NTU.
- Unheard, Unseen: Sound and Memory in Sound Design for Narrative Film in 2D and VR
- Virtual Reality for the Lost Singaporean Film Pontianak (1957). A Case Study to Explore Virtual Reality Environments for Singapore’s Cinematic Heritage.
- Benjamin Seide, Ross Williams, Elke Reinhuber,. (2019). The Gone Garden VR Experience – An Impressionistic Representation as Virtual Heritage Reconstruction. ISEA 2019.
- Elke Reinhuber, Benjamin Seide, Ross Williams. (2019). Art Machines: International Symposium on Computational Media Art Proceedings: The 360° video Secret Detours as case study to convey experiences through immersive media and the method of presentation. International Symposium on Computational Media Art (ISCMA) 2019 (pp. 167-68)Hong Kong: School of Creative Media, City University of Hong Kong.
- Williams, Ross Adrian. (2019). Sound As Equal Partner in Film Production: Can Academic Instruction Change Industry Practice?. Ars et Praxis, (VI), 183-192.
- Elke Reinhuber, Benjamin Seide, Ross Williams. (2018, October). Be the centre of the universe – strategies and concepts to experience immersive media.. Paper presented at Beyond Symposium. Future Design, ZKM Centre for Art and Media, Karlsruhe, Germany.
- Elke Reinhuber, Benjamin Seide, Ross Williams. (2018). EVA London 2018 Electronic Visualisation of the Arts: The Scale Of Immersion: Different Audio- Visual Experiences Exemplified by the 360° Video »Secret Detours«. EVA London 2018 (pp. 236-243)London: BCS Learning and Development Ltd.
« Back to Category Write-up