|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Premchand Varma Dommaraju
Associate Professor, School of Social Sciences
|I am an associate professor of sociology and director of the MSc in Applied Gerontology programme at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. I received my PhD in sociology from Arizona State University and did my post-doctoral fellowship at Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore. Before switching to sociology for my graduate studies, I studied computer science and engineering and received B.Eng (First Class) degree from University of Madras.|
|My research focuses on social and demographic transformations and their implications in Asia. I’m particularly interested in marriage and divorce, families and households, and ageing in South, Southeast and Central Asia. My work has appeared in leading population and demographic journals including Population and Development Review, Population Studies, Demographic Research and Social Science & Medicine. |
For further information please visit my blog: https://blogs.ntu.edu.sg/premchand
- Changing Expectations of Old Age Support: Implications for Intergenerational Solidarity in Singapore and China
- Immigration and the Changing Patterns of Family Formation among Singapore Indians
- Old Age in South India: Demographic, Health and Social Aspects of Ageing
- Social, economic and political change and family patterns in Reformasi Indonesia
- Understanding Changes in the Marriage Systems in Southeast Asia: A Cross-National Comparative Approach, 1965-2015
- Visaria, Abhijit and Premchand Dommaraju. (2019). Productive Aging in India. Social Science & Medicine, 229, 14-21.
- Dommaraju, Premchand and Victor Agadjanian. (2018). Marital Instability inthe Context of Dramatic Societal Change: The Case of Kyrgyzstan. Asian Population Studies, 14(3), 232-250.
- Dommaraju, Premchand. (2016). Divorce and Separation in India. Population and Development Review, 42(2), 195-223.
- Dommaraju, Premchand.(2016). Perspectives on Old Age in India. In C. Z. Guilmoto and G. W. Jones(Ed), Contemporary Demographic Transformations in China, India and Indonesia(293-308). New York: Springer.
- Dommaraju, Premchand. (2015). One-Person Households in India. Demographic Research, 32, 1239-1266.
« Back to Category Write-up