|Academic Profile |
| || |
Asst Prof Koo-Cheah Swit Ling, Diane
Assistant Professor, School of Humanities
|Assistant Professor Koo Swit Ling is currently the Deputy Director of the Language and Communication Centre in the School of Humanities at the Nanyang Technological University. She is also a member of the LCC Management Commitee overseeing the administration of teaching. |
Communication skills courses -
Scientific Communication, Professional Communication, Technical Communication, Effective Communication
Foundation courses -
MAE Graduate Thesis Writing Course, English Proficiency
General Electives -
Effective Communication for the workplace, Reading Thinking and Communication
Honours and Awards
2015 Nanyang Technological University Long Service Award
2014 National Day Awards - Long Service Medal
2011 Koh Boon Hwee Scholars Award - Certificate of Honour
2004 Nominated for Teaching Excellence
1995 Nominated for Teaching Excellence
1994 Nominated for Teaching Excellence
Deputy Director of the Language and Communication Centre 2005 - present
LCC English Language Test Lead for graduate students - 2008 - 2009
LCC Communication Skills Curriculum Lead 2005 - 2012
Overall CoE Communication Skills Coordinator 2000 - 2003
MAE Professional Communication Lead 1999 - 2005
Assistant Programme Director for the International English Course for Senior Vietnamese Officials 2002-2003
Senior Hall Fellow 2001- 2010
Contributions to School and University
English Language course for graduate students offered on the request of students before the university had any formal language course for graduate students 1993-1995
Search Committees for full-time and part-time faculty 2005 - present
Curriculum Committee lead for General Elective, Effective communication for the workplace 2017 - present
|Assistant Professor Koo Swit Ling's current research interest is in the role of culture in oral communication in the language classroom and in the workplace.|
- Winder, Roger, Koo, Swit Ling and Kathpalia, Sujata S. (2015). Writing Centre Tutoriing Sessions: Correlation between student and peer-tutoring perceptions. LCC Working Papers, .
- Kathpalia, Sujata S. and Swit Ling Koo. (2008, December). Is blended e-learning the way to go?. Paper presented at 13th International Conference on English in South East Asia (ESEA 2008), National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
- Kathpalia, Sujata S. and Swit Ling Koo. (2008). Is collocation the way to language proficiency?. TESL Reporter, 41(1), 1-11.
- Kathpalia, Sujata S. and Swit Ling Koo.(2007). A paradigm shift from passive to active learning. In Chitra Shegar and Ridzuan B. A. Rahim(Ed), Redesigning pedagogy: Voices of practitioners(1-14). Singapore: Pearson.
- Kathpalia, Sujata S. and Swit Ling Koo. (2007). Learning communities in university classrooms. Reflections on English Language Teaching, 6(1), 65-78.
« Back to Category Write-up