|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Ooi Kim Tiow
Chair, School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Professor, School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
|Dr Ooi Kim Tiow is a Professor in the School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He obtained his BEng and PhD in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Strathclyde, Scotland, U.K. in 1986 and 1990, respectively. In his nearly 30 years of career with the university, he has been bestowed thrice Teacher of the Year Award, and twice The Nanyang Award for Excellence in Teaching. Dr Ooi is a prolific inventor, he has numerous patents in his name and a few have been commercialised. His innovative works have won numerous local and international awards, including the World’s Best Technology Showcase, USA, in 2009; Institute of Mechanical Engineering, UK, Fluid Mechanics Group-Donald Julius Groen Prize, in 2017 and TECO Green Tech International Competition Bronze Medal in 2019. In 2014, he was awarded the Nanyang Innovation and Entrepreneurship Award. He publishes more than 150 research papers in international journal and conferences and has been invited to be Editor in Chief, Associate Editor, Editorial Board Member, Guest Editor and Reviewers of International Journals. He sits in numerous international advisory boards for international conferences in UK, Europe, China and India. |
Dr Ooi is a co-author of a book and chapters of encyclopaedias. He is widely consulted by engineering companies both locally and internationally. He is a member of American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHARE).
|Flow and heat transfer study of refrigeration system and cooling system, in particular the refrigeration compressor. Detail mathematical simualtion and measurement of compressor performance. Novel compressor designs and performance improvement. Microchannel flow and heat transfer. Optimisation design of refrigeration components and systems. Recently he also researches into enhanced microchannel heat transfer in macro geometry.|
- Development of a Revolving Vane Pump
- Functional multi-core microcapsules for new cosmetic applications via droplet microfluidics
- Greener Compressor which Requires Lesser Materials to Fabricate
- Monetary Academic Resources for Research
- Nanyang Innovation Grant
- Kai Xian Cheng, Zi Hao Foo, Kim Tiow Ooi. (2020). Heat transfer enhancement through periodic flow area variations in microchannels. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 111, 104456.
- Pradeep Shakya and Kim Tiow Ooi. (2020). Introduction to Coupled Vane compressor: mathematical modelling with validation (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2020.01.027). International Journal of Refrigeration, in press, In Press.
- Zi Hao Foo, Kai Xian Cheng, AikLing Goh, KimTiow Ooi. (2018). Single-phase convective heat transfer performance of wavy microchannels in macro geometry. Applied Thermal Engineering, 141, 675-687.
- Chong, WH (Chong, Wen Han); Huang, Y (Huang, Yi); Wong, TN (Wong, Teck Neng); Ooi, KT (Ooi, Kim Tiow); Zhu, GP (Zhu, Gui-Ping). (2018). Magnetic Nanorobots, Generating Vortexes Inside Nanoliter Droplets for Effective Mixing. Advanced Materials Technologies, 3(4).
- Kai Xian Cheng, Yi Sheng Chong, Kim Tiow Ooi. (2018). Thermal-hydraulic performance of a tapered microchannel. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 94((2018)), 53–60.