|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Hoon Kay Hiang
Associate Professor, Centre for Professional and Continuing Education
Phone: +65 67905523
Office: N3 02C 94
|Educational and Professional Qualifications
1982 BSc First Class Honours, University of Strathclyde, U.K.
1986, PhD, University of Strathclyde, U.K.
1990, CEng, MIMechE
Professional and Administrative Appointments
1992 Committee Member, Ergonomics Society of Singapore
1994 Council Member/Editor, Singapore Structural Steel Society
May 1986 - Jan 1987 Senior R & D Engineer, Singapore Marine Containers Pte Ltd
Feb 1987 - Oct 1988 Senior R & D Engineer, AT & T Bell Laboratories, Singapore
Nov 1988 - Jun 1989 Member of Technical Staff, AT&T Consumer Products Laboratories, USA
Jul 1989 - Sep 1989 Acting R & D Manager, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Singapore
Oct 1989 - Apr 1990 R & D Manager, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Singapore
May 1990 - Dec 1991 Lecturer, NTU
Jan 1992 - Dec 1998 Senior Lecturer, NTU
Jan 1993 - Associate, International Relations Office, NTU (concurrent appointment)
Feb 1993 – May 2005 Coordinator, Endowment Fund Raising, NTU (concurrent appointment)
Jan 1999 - Associate Professor, NTU
Jul 2001- May 2005 Sub-Dean (Alumni), MPE, NTU (concurrent appointment)
Jun 2005 - May 2006 Vice-Dean (Admin), MAE, NTU (concurrent appointment)
Jun 2006 - May 2011 Associate Chair (Admin), MAE, NTU (concurrent appointment)
Main research interests are in stress analysis of thin-walled steel and composite structures, drop-impact study of electronic products, constitutive theory and toughening mechanisms of advanced materials and micro/nano mechanics of deformation and fracture. Also actively involved in bio-mechanical analysis, and design and development of assistive and rehabilitative gait devices for the physically disabled and geriatric healthcare.
- Investigation of torsionally initiated buckling behaviour of thin-walled beams and columns
- Research and implementation of biofeedback gait rehabilitation device for spinal cord injury (SCI) and post-stroke people
- Chi Wanchao, Low Kin Huat, Hoon Kay Hiang. (2016). Visual perception of tau-dot for guidance of approaching flights of unmanned aerial vehicles. International Conference on Bionic Engineering.
- Chi Wanchao, Low Kin Huat, Hoon Kay Hiang. (2016). A Fuzzy Control Strategy for UAV Perching using Varying Tau-dot. AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control ConferenceAmerican Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- Chi, W., Low, K. H., Hoon, K. H., Tang, J. and Go, T. H. (2012). A Bio-inspired Adaptive Perching Mechanism for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, .
- Yuqi Wang, K.H. Low, H.L.J. Pang, K.H. Hoon, F.X. Che, Y.S. Yong. (2006). Modeling and simulation for a drop-impact analysis of multi-layered printed circuit boards. Microelectronic Engineering, Vol 46, 558-573.
- Low K. H., Wang Yuqi, Hoon K.H., Wai W. K. (2004). A VIRTUAL BOUNDARY MODEL FOR A QUICK DROP-IMPACT ANALYSIS OF ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS IN TV MODEL. Advances in Engineering Software, 35(9), 537-551.