|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Yeo Puay Hwa Jesvin
Associate Dean (Students), College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences
Associate Professor, School of Art, Design and Media
Deputy Director, University Scholars Programme
|Prof Jesvin Yeo is an Associate Professor of Visual Communication at the School of Art, Design and Media. She graduated from Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design in London (MA), and NTU (PhD). Prior to joining Nanyang Technological University, Jesvin worked for large MNC advertising agencies such as the Publicis Group, Young & Rubicam and Ogilvy & Mather in Singapore and London.|
Jesvin serves as director on the boards of Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts; Vice President at Singapore Society of Asian Studies; Chairman of the Advisory Committee for the Centre for Lifelong Education (CLE) at Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts; a Scientific Board Member at Human Factors in Communication of Design Scientific Board, USA; and Council Member at the Ad-Ucation Council of Association of Accredited Advertising Agents (4As Singapore). Jesvin is active in the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), serving as the Chair (Poster) and a committee member in Special Interest Group on the Design of Communication (SIGDOC) Conferences. Jesvin also served as an associate editor of six international journals on Design Education, Design in Society, Design Principles & Practices, Book Design, Arts in Society and Humanities.
Jesvin’s work has been published internationally, including journal articles, conference papers and art books, in the areas of Singapore heritage and cultures, material culture, design research, typography and book design. Her work has also been exhibited at galleries and Museums in Berlin, London, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Beijing. Among other 60 international design awards she received are the Red Dot Award (Communication Design), A’ Design Award, Good Design Award and iF Communication Design Award.
|Interdisciplinary Design Research – exploring design in different fields/industries (such as media, retailer, banking and financial services, healthcare and pharmaceutical) to integrate functional, emotional and social aspects that are based on actual need.|
Intangible and Tangible Heritage Studies – innovation through culture and tradition.
Design and Visual Research Methods – theoretical and practical influences on creative concept development in the design-visual communication processes.
Visual Research – Material Culture; Asian Cultural Identity; Experimental Typography; Inclusive and Innovative Packaging Design; Knowledge Visualization.
Digital Humanities – Cultural Analytics; Visualization and Data Design.
- An empirical study of existing design research methods in design education
- An empirical study to investigate the disconnection between researched theory and creative practice in Visual Communication research projects in an Asian context
- Beyond Typography: Experiments in Form to investigate how far the qualities of typography can be pushed and still retain its meaning.
- Designing Cultures: An Ethnographic Study of Visual Communication of the Traditional Artisans
- Designing Cultures: An Experimental Study of Asian Heritage and Visual Communication to Shape Multiple Understandings of Place and Identity
- Designing Cultures: An ethnographic study of visual communication of the traditional artisans
- Designing Cultures: Rising cultural understanding and multicultural appreciation through Singapore's oral traditions and location mapping
- Yeo PH, Teo CT. (2018). Proceedings of the 2018 International Conference on Education, Psychology, and Organizational Behavior: A pilot study of existing design research methods in design education. (pp. 1-13)Taipei, Taiwan: ICEPO.
- Jesvin Puayhwa Yeo, Caroline Koh, Stefanie Chye. (2017). Conceptions of design research: discursive phenomenography in undergraduate visual communication design research. Iterations, 05(05), 14-21.
- Yeo, J.P.(2017). Chapter 4 Case Studies: Designing cultures studio: Reversible and recyclable packaging.. In E. Benson, and Y. Perullo(Ed), Design to Renourish: Sustainable Graphic Design in Practice(58-62). Boca Raton, United States: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, LLC.