|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Josep Pou
Associate Professor, School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Phone: +65 67904503
Office: S2 B2A 06
|Josep Pou received the B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in electrical engineering from the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC)-Barcelona Tech. He was the top student in the Bachelor graduating class, received the Master Degree with first-class honours, and was awarded the Excellence Ph.D. Thesis Award at UPC.|
In 1990, he joined the faculty of UPC as an Assistant Professor, where he became an Associate Professor in 1993. From 2003 to 2007, he was Director of the Power Quality and Renewable Energy (QuPER) group, and from 2007 to 2013 he was Director of the Terrassa Industrial Electronics Group (TIEG), both research groups at UPC. From February 2013 to August 2016, he was a Full Professor with the University of New South Wales (UNSW), Sydney, Australia. In UNSW, he was technical research stream leader for the Solar Flagships Program Research Agenda, the result of AU$19-million investment from the Commonwealth Government of Australia in world class laboratories developed to study solar power conversion and its impact on the grid. He is currently an Associate Professor with the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore, where he is Program Director of Renewables' Integration and Microgrids (Power Electronics) at the Energy Research Institute at NTU (ERI@N), and Program PI and co-Director of the Rolls-Royce @ NTU corporate lab, a SG$87.5-million investment from IAF, Rolls-Royce and NTU to perform research on future transportation and other research topics of interest to Rolls-Royce. As part of the Rolls-Royce @ NTU corporate lab, he is also co-Director of the Power Systems Integration Lab at NTU (EPSIL@N) with focus on more electrical aircraft (MEA) and hybrid propulsion developments.
He spent two sabbatical years (2001 and 2005) as a Visiting Professor at the Center for Power Electronics Systems, Virginia Tech, USA, and one year (2012) at the Australian Energy Research Institute (AERI), UNSW, Sydney. Since 2006, he has collaborated with Tecnalia Research & Innovation as a research consultant. He has authored over 290 published technical papers, is a co-inventor of 7 patents, and has been involved in several industrial projects and educational programs in the fields of power electronics and systems. He has authored two book chapters. He has received 6 scholarship and fellowship awards, including the prestigious Endeavour Research Fellowship Award, sponsored by the Australian Government.
He is IEEE Fellow, co-Editor-in-Chief and Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, and Associate Editor of the IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics. He was Invited Editor of the Special Section on "Modular Multilevel Converters" for the IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, and Invited Editor of the Special Section on "Hybrid Multilevel Converters" for the IET Power Electronics.
He was the recipient of the 2018 IEEE Bimal Bose Award for Industrial Electronics Applications in Energy Systems given by the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society.
|His research interests include modulation and control of power converters, multilevel converters, energy generation from renewable sources, energy storage, power quality, HVDC transmission systems, and more electric aircraft and vessels.|
Note: Currently looking for research fellow candidates (postdocs) to work on power electronic systems. Interested candidates can contact me directly (only candidates with outstanding academic records will be considered).
- Compact and Reliable Power Converters
- Design of Highly Efficient, Robust and reliable Electrical Drive Systems for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machines and Induction Machines
- Fault Management in Marine Power Distribution Systems
- Health Monitoring and Failure Prognosis of Power Electronics Systems
- High Power Density Converter for More Electric Engine Applications
- Next Generation of StatCom Systems for Transmission and Distribution Grids
- Novel Electrical Propulsion Concepts: Variomatic Drive Train and Low Loss Concept
- RR @ NTU Corp Lab - Electrical Power & Control Systems
- Rolls-Royce Electrical (IAF-ICP)
- Rolls-Royce Electrical (RR)
- Transformer-Less Topologies and Control Techniques for Medium-Voltage Battery Energy Storage Systems
- Firman Sasongko, Peng Yaxin, Josep Pou, Rejeki Simanjorang. (2019). IEEE Proceedings: One-Kilohertz Fundamental Frequency Operation of a SiC Power Converter for Future Aircraft System. 2018 Conference on Power Engineering and Renewable Energy (ICPERE)Solo, Indonesia: IEEE.
- Hossein Dehghani Tafti, Christopher David Townsend, Georgios Konstantinou, Josep Pou. (2018). A Multi-Mode Flexible Power Point Tracking Algorithm for Photovoltaic Power Plants. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, .
- Hossein Dehghani Tafti, Georgios Konstantinou, and Josep Pou.(2018). Multilevel Converter-Based Photovoltaic Power Conversion. Advanced Multilevel Converters and Applications in Grid Integration.
- H. Dehghani Tafti, A. Sangwongwanich, Y. Yang, J. Pou, G. Konstantinou and F. Blaabjerg. (2018). An Adaptive Control Scheme for Flexible Power Point Tracking in Photovoltaic Systems. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, .
- H. Dehghani Tafti, A. Maswood, G. Konstantinou, C. Townsend, P. Acuna and J. Pou. (2018). Flexible Control of Photovoltaic Grid-Connected Cascaded H-Bridge Converters during Unbalanced Voltage Sags. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, .