Since Nov. 2011- present, Lecturer, School of Biological Sciences, Nanyang
2005 – 2011, Research Fellow, School of Biological Sciences, Nanyang Technological University
2003 – 2005, Research Fellow, University of the Saarland, Institute of Biophysics, Germany
|My research interest is in RNA binding proteins from Plasmodium falciparum which belong to the RRM family (RNA recognition motif). The RRM serves diverse biologically significant functions mostly in post-transcriptional activities, involving pre-mRNA processing, alternative splicing, mRNA stability, mRNA export, translation regulation and protein degradation. Attenuation of the gene for this protein (PF13_0318) has significant consequence on the parasite’s survival in all stages of its life cycle implicating on this way its importance for parasite. Elucidating the mechanisms of this protein can provide further insight into the molecular aspect of the malaria parasite’s stability and its ability to invade red blood cells|
- Manimekalai MSS, Saw WG, Pan A, Grüber A, Grüber G. (2016). Identification of the critical linker residues conferring differences in compactness of DENV-4 NS5 from Dengue virus serotypes 1-3. Acta Crystallographica. Section D: Biological Crystallography, D72(6), 795-807.
- Saw WG, Tria G, Grüber A, Manimekalai MSS, Zhao Y, Chandramohan A, Anand GS, Matsui T, Weiss T, Vasudevan S, Grüber G. (2015). Structural insight and flexibility features of NS5 proteins from all four serotypes of Dengue virus in solution. Acta Crystallographica. Section D: Biological Crystallography, D71, 2309-2327.
- Gruber A, Manimekalai MSS, Preiser PR, Gruber G. (2012). Structural architecture and interplay of the nucleotide- and erythrocyte binding domain of the reticulocyte binding protein Py235 from Plasmodium yoelii. International Journal for Parasitology, 42(12), 1083-1089.
- Grüber A, Gunalan K, Ramalingam JK, Manimekalai MSS, Grüber G, and Preiser PR. (2011). Structural characterization of the Erythrocyte Binding Domain of the Reticulocyte Binding Protein Homologues family of Plasmodium yoelii. Infection and Immunity, 79, 2880-2885.
- Sandip Basak, Shovanlal Gayen, Jeya Kumar Ramalingam, Ardina Gru¨ ber, Peter R. Preiser & Gerhard Gru¨ ber. (2011). NMRsolution structure ofNBD94483-502of the nucleotide-binding domain ofthePlasmodiumyoelii reticulocyte-binding protein Py235. FEMS Microbiology Letters, 318(2), 152-158.