|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Gray Hodgkinson
Associate Professor, School of Art, Design and Media
Phone: +65 65141003
Office: ART 03 03
|Gray Hodgkinson is a digital media animator, designer and researcher, with a specific interest in visual research methods and computer animation. Gray has been developing and leading animation education for 17 years, 14 of those at Massey University, New Zealand, and has been instrumental in creating links between tertiary institutes and industry in New Zealand and internationally. Gray has presented papers on animation research and pedagogy at Melbourne, Germany, the U.K., Canada, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore and South Korea.|
|In recent work, Gray has been exploring the inclusion of 3D virtual reality to animation. Animation and virtual reality share a common fundamental in that they both take place inside an artificially constructed world. This commonality provides a starting point to explore how narrative and direction is affected when virtual reality is employed.|
- Interactive digital animation production using game engine technology and virtual reality
- Hodgkinson, G. McAuley, M. (2017). The research poster and how it consolidates and communicates key concepts of a research inquiry. The International Journal of Design Education, 11(1), 1-14.
- Gray Hodgkinson. (2017). Lights, Virtual Camera, Action!. TechArt, 4(4), 6.
- Gray Hodgkinson. (2017, October). Lights, Virtual Camera, Action!. Paper presented at Asia Animation Forum, Bucheon, South Korea.
- Hodgkinson, G. (2016). Lock up your stories – here comes Virtual Reality. TechArt, 3(4), 5.
- Hodgkinson, G. (2016, June). Virtual Reality will break your narrative. Paper presented at Society of Animation Studies Annual Conference 2016, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
« Back to Category Write-up