|Dr Lauro has an aptitude matched with a passion, to discover the ways in which microorganisms evolve, adapt and function to drive the ecological processes that are critical for sustaining the health of global marine environments. He has purposefully developed skills in both experimental and computational sciences – in particular, deep-sea microbiology, and the latest “omic” technologies that are essential for deriving a clear and thorough understanding of microbial communities and ecosystem function. Importantly, Lauro has also gained an expert level of proficiency in microbial genomics – this has been achieved through the pursuit of creating bioinformatic tools for analyzing and modelling large datasets, involving a broad range of PERL-programming and implementation of open-source software. Along with his pursuit of marine microbial environments, Lauro is extending his exploration of microbial environments to that of the air microbiome.|
- Chenard C, Kolundžija S, Lauro FM. (2019). Complete genome sequence of the cyanophage S-PRM1 isolated from Singapore coastal waters. Marine Genomic, 43, 58-60.
- Martin P, Lauro FM, Sarkar A, Goodkin NF, Prakash S, P. N. Vinayachandran. (2018). Particulate polyphosphate and alkaline phosphatase activity across a latitudinal transect in the tropical Indian Ocean. Limnology and Oceanography, , doi:10.1002/lno.10780.
- Cassie Elizabeth Heinle, Nicolas Paul Eugène Gaultier, Dana Miller, Rikky Wenang Purbojati, Federico M. Lauro. (2017). MetaLIMS, A Simple Open-Source Laboratory Information Management System for Small Metagenomic Labs. GigaScience, .
- Chenard C, Lauro FM. (2017). Microbial Ecology of Extreme Environments. Springer International Publishing.
- Acerbi E, Chenard C, Miller D, Gaultier NE,Heinle CE,Chang VW, Uchida A, Drautz-Moses DI,Chuster SC, Lauro FM. (2016). Ecological succession of the microbial communities of an air conditioning cooling coil in the tropics. Indoor Air, .